facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT 400 type kick starter

• PDXtyist
  • PDXtyist's Avatar Topic Author
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

DT 400 type kick starter was created by PDXtyist

Hi Members. I am actually reassembling my TY250A’s which is basically the same as many other Yamahas including the DT’s of the same era. The issue I’d like to ask is about my Ratchet Wheel that occasionally does not return into its slot between the Ratchet Wheel Guide (24 on diagram) and the Stopper (26). The Ratchet Wheel catches occasionally on the leading edge of the Stopper (26). A little wiggle of the Kick Crank allows the Ratchet Wheel to stow properly in its slot. I wonder if this is a known issue or perhaps something is wrong in the assembly. The thing I also wonder about is if the Lock Washer (25) needs to be between 24 and 26. I mounted the lock washer on top of 26 as it was during disassembly. Sandwiching the Lock Washer between 24 and 26 would widen the gap somewhat but would render the tangs too short to lock the bolts. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you. 
PS sorry about being unable to post an image. 
Last edit: 20 Nov 2022 19:22 by PDXtyist.
20 Nov 2022 19:20 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic DT 400 type kick starter

Ok i mucked up but might leave it as thought we were talking DT400. But DT400 pic comparrison could be relevant
So we're talking TY250 but i think its drawn wrong. I think #11 goes the end where the number 10 arrow is to keep shaft over. Then 24-25-26 seem back to front to me. Compare those parts in the two links--or pics if i can load them. If i'm well off the case just skip my post. I'll have a cuppa & a lie down lol & a think.

So this is what i wrote in error looking at the 400 pic albeit a similar motor in respect of kickstart.
Is there any end play in & out of the shaft so you could add a thicker washer inside the case to keep it hard over to the left but still have clearance to move freely. Alternatively can you double the stopper plate thickness which will move it out a millimeter or so. Sounds like you only need a fraction to get it behind the dissengaging plate. Would more spring return pressure fix it not if it's hitting the leading edge directly.
www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy.../ty250a/kick-starter
www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy...tarter-250b-c-400b-c
The following user(s) Liked this Post: PDXtyist
21 Nov 2022 01:08 #2

• PDXtyist
  • PDXtyist's Avatar Topic Author
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Replied by PDXtyist on topic DT 400 type kick starter

Update. Thank you RT325. Last night I took it all apart to double check my work. All was mounted correctly per parts diagram. But I lubed the crud out of the pieces and noticed the Ratchet Wheel Spring actually "sprung" along its shaft to move the Ratchet Wheel. . Prior this it was not the case. I think it was stuck. Now it seems much better and the Ratchet stows correctly.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325, Ht1kid, msavitt, Sneezles61
22 Nov 2022 10:49 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart