facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1974 DT250 Voltage Conversion

Replied by TheBeardedOne on topic 1974 DT250 Voltage Conversion

It looks like it's time for a new coil unless you're one of those people who enjoys trying to wind new wire onto the old core (not me!)

Were those bolts holding the coil on backed out like that when you pulled the flywheel? That could very well be your problem. If you have to redo the entire wiring harness anyway, I'd strongly considering upgrading to an aftermarket CDI. I've had good luck with HPI. The 60W lighting coil is a bit anemic, but probably fine for a bike that won't see the road often. There are other options (Rex's, Powerdynamo), but the HPI is probably the cheaper option if you don't have a factory harness to use the Rex's cdi. All three come with 12V lighting coils. Alternately, you could probably find a used 6v coil since so many people upgrade to 12V.

If you decide to keep the bike, I'd 100% recommend the powerdynamo for amazing lighting, but it's probably not in the budget for a bike you're just going to sell.
01 Jun 2022 12:53 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JWormy
  • JWormy's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by JWormy on topic 1974 DT250 Voltage Conversion

So I ran some resistance tests. The charging coil is good, but the ignition coil and lighting coils are both out of spec. Going to replace the ignition coil as they are relatively inexpensive, but I'm going to try to repair the lighting coil unless anyone knows of a replacement that doesn't break the bank. Trying to stay as close to stock as possible instead of upgrading to a CDI or 12V coils. I couldn't believe how filthy the flywheel/magneto was once I took it apart. I would guess the previous owner took the flywheel cover off and then rode through a swap. Completely caked in mud, rocks, grease, you name it. Two of the magnets were actually shattered into pieces.
07 Jun 2022 18:09 #12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart