facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

'75 DT-250 brake light and front blinker do not work

• shousetheo
  • shousetheo's Avatar Topic Author
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I made significant progress on my DT250 in the last couple days. The rear blinkers, taillight, and headlight now work. I replaced the flasher relay—this didn't work at first, but once I disconnected the ground wire, the rear blinkers began working. Now I'm dumbfounded about the front blinkers and brake light. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
03 Apr 2022 14:12 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Check that all connections are clean, particularly within the rear light unit.

Front indicators take their earth from the handlebars - these haven't been painted, have they?

Is it the front or rear brake light not working, or both? It is possible to test the switches off the bike (I use a battery and testing light).
04 Apr 2022 01:02 #2

• shousetheo
  • shousetheo's Avatar Topic Author
Hello,

I'm back after a year away. The bike runs great, there are still electrical issues. The front blinkers and the brake light don't work. Sometimes the rear blinkers don't work.

The handlebars are painted, which could mean there's an issue with the ground for the front blinkers. But I used a wire to connect the blinker mounts to another ground to see if that would fix the issue, and it didn't.

Also, I cleaned the connections for the brake light and bypassed the rear brake stop switch to see if that was the issue. The brake light still didn't work.

I'm also observing some weird behavior with the rear blinkers and taillight: when I use a turn signal, sometimes the taillight will flash and the blinkers won't; sometimes the rear blinkers will flash with the taillight. I assume this means my flasher relay is screwed up? 

I'm totally lost and would appreciate any help.

Thanks!
04 Jul 2023 15:15 #3

Welcome back.

Modern 2 pin relays are quite cheap, so you could buy one to try out (make sure it's 6v).

These apparent random tail light/flasher issues are bloody frustrating, but are nearly always caused by a bad earth or other connection somewhere - I'm chasing down a couple on my own RD350 at the moment. You have to be really thorough and methodical, and have a vat of coffee/beer and a packet of fags/biscuits to hand to keep you going! Hopefully not in your case, but the indicators and tail light sometimes have to be dismantled in order to get to the source of the problem.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
04 Jul 2023 23:40 #4

Skydancer46 just did a great write up of a LED conversion that works. LED 6volt turn signals / relay 
Last edit: 05 Jul 2023 05:26 by Ht1kid.
05 Jul 2023 05:24 #5

Did you put a new taillight bulb in ? Maybe the brake light filament is bad. Seen it happen before 
Last edit: 05 Jul 2023 05:46 by Ht1kid.
05 Jul 2023 05:45 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart