facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1975 Yamaha RD350 wont run unless I cover Intake,

• DerveyZ
  • DerveyZ's Avatar Topic Author
Hello everyone, and Merry Christmas Eve! Jared here again. For my past birthday my grandpa gave me his 75 rd350, amazing birthday present! When I got it, it was running only with choke and was sitting for a few years. I got a new battery, cleaned the carbs a few times on it now, new fuel lines, filters, carbs rebuilt. Now whenever I try to start the bike it will only run if I cover the intake. Also when it is "running" its idling extremely low, Also when I am covering the intake im getting a considerable amount of gasoline on my hand. Havent synced the carbs yet because I havent been able to get the bike warmed up enough to do so. Any ideas? Again, im a newbie at all this stuff but very eager to learn!

Thanks so much!

-Jared 
Last edit: 24 Dec 2021 17:14 by DerveyZ.
24 Dec 2021 17:10 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I have a couple of suggestions .
You have already stated you've rebuilt the carbs . Assuming you've possibly used
an aftermarket carb kit ( Keyster ) , that might be some of your problem .
The jet brassware in the kits isn't as accurate for metering fuel as genuine
Mikuni components . The supplied needles seldom bear any resemblance to
the original needles .
Another trap with the Yamaha twins is the choke / starter jet is in the left float bowl .
If your carbs have been reassembled with the left bowl on the right body , your choke
won't work , and starting the bike will be difficult , if possible .

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid, Pedalcrazy, Tinkicker
24 Dec 2021 18:04 #2

• DerveyZ
  • DerveyZ's Avatar Topic Author
Wow, I did not know that the bowls could get mixed up, Im definitely gonna have to check that! Thanks so much
24 Dec 2021 18:08 #3

I'd forgotten about the bowl swapping, good to be reminded. & another favourite trick was people end up swapping the slides to opposite sides which means they need to be turned half a turn so the cutaway is forward causing a super rich situation which doesn't sound like yours if you need to hand choke it. But fuel on your hand if lots sounds like its not sucking like it should. Has the cylinders been off so pistons could be back to front with piston reed holes towards the exhaust. Or is there a reed valve problem, they don't need to seal but if one petal is missing or one broken on each then that'll cause grief. All unlikely stuff. Also without the air filter restriction it might be too lean for full throttle but should still try up to that point. Idling very low does have me thinking slides as goes super rich I think even at idle.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
24 Dec 2021 21:26 #4

beautiful bike, good luck getting it to run, please share what you learn
I am thinking about one of these, or a triple, for next project
25 Dec 2021 11:16 #5

awesome gift! those would haul ass back in the day. also, if it sat a long time, the crank seal could be sucking air
05 Jan 2022 11:38 #6

Great bike I have one too they are wheelie king’s love the sound of the twin cylinder’s 
05 Jan 2022 15:46 #7

Pilots are still plugged and maybe the choke circuits are plugged with varnish  COMPRESSION,,FUEL,,SPARK  You appear to have 2 of these.
Doug
05 Jan 2022 15:55 #8

Can you take some close up pic of your carbs
05 Jan 2022 16:04 #9

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart