facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Grinding noise when clutch released

• Jstrauch
  • Jstrauch's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Jstrauch on topic Grinding noise when clutch released

Other things to possibly know..

I tried adding some oil (seemed a little low) no change to the noise.

im running premix, the oil injection is disconnected and was that way when I got the bike.
01 May 2021 19:42 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Grinding noise when clutch released

Good video thanks, Ok, does it at think 5 then 6 seconds briefly plus more later in the vid. Better get into the clutch side & check the center nut & while ya there slide the plates out ^ grab the center to see if the shaft rocks like a problem with the bearing the far end--which is just in from where you say it sounds on the left. Also feel the backlash in the cush rubbers the basket buffer against internaly. Even if they are stuffed with a lot of play back n forth the heavy rubber ring would probably stop the noise, not the play as such but dampen it to get by. Number 9 in the link looks like a needle bearing. Hope its not that. Another thought is feel the crank bearings on both sides as noise can sound from one place but but can fool us sometimes & i'm an expert fool. Just grab each end of the crank via the auto advance on the left & crank nut on the right. if its as bad as it sound then play will be obvious. Can hear piston rattle but that's the least of worries & videos make things sound worse than they are.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy.../dt125b/transmission
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jstrauch
01 May 2021 23:14 #12

Replied by msavitt on topic Grinding noise when clutch released

piston slap?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jstrauch
02 May 2021 09:35 #13

• Jstrauch
  • Jstrauch's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Jstrauch on topic Grinding noise when clutch released

Thanks I’ll check those items out. Is the piston slap separate or could that be the primary cause of the noise? I could handle that being the case as it wasn’t warm, i can try seeing if it goes away when it gets warmed up.

the prob is the concept of opening up the case is somewhat intimidating to me and where I live (middle of nowhere) there aren’t a whole lot great options to choose from shop wise.

as an example I thought the clutch was on the left side of the engine. Wrong.
Last edit: 02 May 2021 12:36 by Jstrauch.
02 May 2021 12:21 #14

• YamahaForumUsername
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by YamahaForumUsername on topic Grinding noise when clutch released

Could an extremely High oil level be causing this weird rattling sound. Im pretty sure my crank case is almost filled to the top right now and i drove it around my backyard a bit and when downshifting , holding in the clutch, it has a weird rattle noise coming from the left side. It may be the chain guard. Going to check right now ....
27 Aug 2022 10:13 #15

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic Grinding noise when clutch released

Post a video, that will help our resident experts in giving a proper diagnosis...  And well I'd like to hear/know what's going on too.
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
27 Aug 2022 10:38 #16

Replied by shyted on topic Grinding noise when clutch released

Not being pedantic here but why not drop the oil to the correct level then you will know.
27 Aug 2022 10:48 #17

Replied by RT325 on topic Grinding noise when clutch released

Crankcase as in transmission i guess you mean--not crankcase as in where the crank is. I've forgotten what bike we're talking but should have a dipstick. Sometimes it's best to drain it all & start again with correct volume but don't go looking at dipstick for a while as takes time to level out right through the trans internals. Bike vertical when checking.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
Last edit: 27 Aug 2022 17:20 by RT325.
27 Aug 2022 17:20 #18

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart