facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT400 twin shock front plastic mudguard (fender!)

• Jammyyammy
  • Jammyyammy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi - my DT400 has been in an accident or two (previous owners !!!). 
As a result, the front plastic mudguard (fender!) is mis-shaped. It looks like it has been really twisted/bent in two in a few places.
The sides aren’t straight.
I’ve seen all the you tube clips using a hot air gun to re-shape plastic, but has anyone actually tried a similar job on one of these mudguards (fenders!)?
I thought that I would ask before I turn a half-reasonable mudguard (for the last time, fender!) into a melted mess rather than afterwards.
Thanks.........
Last edit: 29 Apr 2021 15:19 by Jammyyammy. Reason: X
29 Apr 2021 11:01 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Jammyyammy,
heat gun seems to be the only way. Yor fender doesn´t look too bad, at least it´s not broken anywhere. Mine was in worse condition. The dosing  / distribution of the heat is tricky.. Better to chose mid range of a heat gun and carefully heat mostly center of the bend and surrounding areas little less. With gloves, a little overbend in the other direction and hold it, until its cold.. If you hit the right point, you will see then. If not, try again. Beside some bendings, mine was twisted, too. Here i heated the fender over the whole width and twisted in the other direction until its cold. Dont overheat, it will melt.. Good luck.
30 Apr 2021 09:16 #2

• Jammyyammy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Jammyyammy on topic DT400 twin shock front plastic mudguard (fender!)

Thanks Wessi - I’m going to give it my best shot.
I sent photo’s / details to dream machine uk, asking them for a price to repair and respray. They responded by asking me to find a better example. I wish...

30 Apr 2021 11:39 #3

Jammy
Take a look at this post www.yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/...rear-fender?start=20
If you have no luck then you can get a repop.
Pete
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
Last edit: 30 Apr 2021 12:18 by Pete-RT1.
30 Apr 2021 12:17 #4

• Jammyyammy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Jammyyammy on topic DT400 twin shock front plastic mudguard (fender!)

Thanks for that Pete - that’s a lot of really good info. Has anyone out there got recent experience with the reproduction plastic front mudguards (fenders)? Are they any good? Which are considered the best? What about the ones from eBay/Thailand?
Also, does anyone have experience with spraying them (silver spray on a white one...).
Many thanks.....
30 Apr 2021 13:27 #5

Had purchased one from Thailand. They fit but they are much shorter than OEM, think about 6-7cm front and 6-7cm backside. Width aproximately fits. After painting and installing it, for me the side view of the bike was spoiled, so i looked for an original fender and restored it with a heatgun.. The result after 1-2 hours of heating and bending  was excellent
01 May 2021 00:37 #6

Here is an option if your repair doesn't work out. I saved this link because I had thoughts of getting one for my DT400B. It is made in my home state of Michigan.

www.dcvmx.com/xcart/product.php?productid=18415&cat=282&page=1

Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
01 May 2021 06:36 #7

• Jammyyammy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Thanks Schu - probably better quality (and more likely to be the correct dimensions) than the one from Thailand. I’ll ask them for a cost for shipping if mine turns out bad.
Thanks Wessi - I have one quick question - if I don’t get the plastic perfectly straight (every little undulation would show when it’s sprayed silver), is it possible to fill the low spots and rub down the high spots - like you would do on a metal mudguard (fender!) - before spraying?
01 May 2021 07:53 #8

If you do go with DC Plastics, read thru the "About Us" tab where he describes their process compared to others.

www.dcvmx.com/xcart/pages.php?pageid=11
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
01 May 2021 09:11 #9

...sure, you can use special plastic putty (remains somehow flexible) and sand the remaining dents.
I didn´t have any problems with cracks in the putty.

02 May 2021 00:41 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart