facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1974 Yamaha DT360 won't shift after shifter seal replacement

• Roland Wheeler
  • Roland Wheeler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Well, I spoke too soon. Changed out the shifter shaft seal today and I think I pulled the shaft outward too much to expose the circlip groove and now the bike will only go into first gear. When I tried to push it back in a bit it now stays in and is now stuck in first gear. I think I can access the opposite side of the shifter shaft from the clutch side. Please someone tell me I don't have to split the cases to fix this!
Sorry to be such a noobie!
Roland
25 Apr 2021 16:44 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

no but you have to remover the clutch cover and realign the teeth on the shift linkage behind the clutch  it will be obvious when you see it
doug
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325
25 Apr 2021 19:03 #2

Just align the teeth central to its mate. Also be sure the return spring is in place & not hopped of & the ears got crossed. Then get around the other side & fit the circlip & washer or whatever goes on there so it doesn't slip back. After that you should be safe to fit the clutch cover but click it through the gears first just moving the bike a little back & forth to be sure it's safe.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
25 Apr 2021 21:45 #3

The manual shows how to time the sector gears... picture from a similar model with gears completely disengaged.  Yours is probably off one tooth.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, JayB
26 Apr 2021 05:55 #4

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Roland Wheeler
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the help. I have the shifter teeth put together fine now, but it does not shift properly at all. I am sure the shifter needs to be adjusted. But I will tell you I see no way of measuring the gap between teeth and making that adjustment, at least not on this model. I am beside myself to be honest. I caused this mess and now have to correct it. 
Any advice on how to adjust the shifter would be helpful.
26 Apr 2021 17:21 #5

If it was ok before then won't need adjusting now, so thinking cap on. Have you removed the detent plunger underneath on the left side. There 'is' an adjustment No11 for minor centralizing. The spring it sitting square on ok i hope. Can't go wrong unless it hopped off & got its ears crossed. You can see in the drawing how it should sit straight on No11, spring being No9.
www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy...974/dt360a/shifter-2
26 Apr 2021 17:58 #6

Not sure what you mean by measuring teeth gap. Forget about that. Just sit it equally like i think Mark drew to show how when mated up it looks even--central. Keep coming back please as we're all keen to get you sorted.
26 Apr 2021 18:02 #7

I had same issue when I first got mine and issue was two sector gears got moved out of place with clip on L side is off and then put back together without confirming sector gears are centered.

did it properly shift prior to assembly to replace the seal?

is the ratchet thing (on shifter 2 in Partzilla parlance) riding over the pins of the drum when you move the shifter up and down?  Does ratchet hook pins? 
Can you see shift drum (pins attached to it) turn at all?

Other adjustment I remember was setting adjustment to approximately center ratchet over pins. If bike shifted before seal episode then IMHO adjustment is not issue.

might want to recheck that the sector gears are centered per pics i think someone already sent and that clip and washer are on after doing so.
26 Apr 2021 18:06 #8

Just talking that adjustment screw if you 'had' to alter it just hook it into say third gear to get away from neutral half movement. Then when in gear if you hand felt the gear lever you should have approx equal up & down movement before it hooks the next pin on the drum. So might be 10mm springy feel up & down at the tip of the lever before touching & turning the selector drum.
Also, to get it to change up or down you'll need to move the bike fractionally. If you imagine sliding fingers of one hand into another & they come up end on then you need to move about that much to get them to slide in.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2021 18:13 by RT325.
26 Apr 2021 18:07 #9

• Roland Wheeler
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi Guys,
So had to remove the assembly as someone overtightened the F%$%#@$K out of it. I corrected and reinstalled it and have freedom to make a wide range of shifter adjustments. The spring is in the proper place but it is always centered as it is tight around the pivot pin. I can now go through all gears, but will continue to perform fine adjustments so there are no catches anywhere. Then I will lock it down. The system works well, but to be able to actually measure how centered the shift forks are on the shift pins is impossible IMO. I will go for the smoothest shifting and leave it. 
Will let you know how it goes.
I should have known that once I removed that clip on the shift lever side to replace the seal not to let that shaft get pushed in.
26 Apr 2021 18:58 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart