facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

New '74 360DT Owner with a few Questions

• warmblood58
  • warmblood58's Avatar Topic Author

New '74 360DT Owner with a few Questions was created by warmblood58

At age 62, I finally got a DT! Oh, I have had many other bikes but it all began in the 70's for me as a young boy. One friend, actually several had JT's and one let me use it for delivering papers, the other had a purple 90 (or was it a 100cc bike?- lucky kid!) around '69 - later in my teens, the bigger bikes popped up including a few YZ's -those were the days! This 360 is very complete, a little rough and currently not running but piston moves. No key for bike and need to find the proper 6 volt battery - pulled a Yuasa 6N4B-2A-3, Batteries and Bulbs had no batteries that would fit, same for Napa and O'Reilly's - anyone know a good AGM style battery that fits our tiny battery tray? Will need to order key blanks off EBay and try my hand at cutting a key once I remove ignition tumbler -I was able to pick gas tank lock and in spite of a fair amount of rust here and there on bike, I was surprised to see a good looking internal tank with very minimal rust-yay! Will rinse with hot soapy water and then a good vinergar soak, rinse with two stoke gas, etc. Carb was a mess, took it apart, pulled float needle, jets, etc and put it in my ultrasonic cleaner with a little heat - a ton of varnish and dirt was liberated - the slide looked a little hammered, should source a new one, bore in carb looks good - good source for slide? Petcock need a good clean, will disassemble, solvent clean. Is there a link to a factory FSM here for the 360? I am also working on a Can Am Outlander at this time and will one day put the Bultaco Alpina 250 back together. Wish me luck! No shortage of fun/disassembling/cleaning etc in my future!
16 Feb 2021 20:16 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic New '74 360DT Owner with a few Questions

Welcome!

Service manual available in Tech Library here.

You can probably save yourself a lot of hassle by just ordering the key from the number on the lock from one of the many ebay sellers or locksmiths.

Autozone can get you a battery... many other places too.  Not needed for spark so I wouldn't start with a battery.  Just don't turn on the lights when you get engine running until you install a battery...  and preferably a voltage regulator.

Auto parts store sell the acid cheap too if you decide to buy a dry battery online...  some ship with DOT approved acid packs so you can go that route too. 

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve
16 Feb 2021 21:34 #2

• warmblood58

Replied by warmblood58 on topic New '74 360DT Owner with a few Questions

Great info, thank you!
17 Feb 2021 07:04 #3

Replied by msavitt on topic New '74 360DT Owner with a few Questions

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=124172423349&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

• warmblood58

Thanks so much for that advice! Voltage Reg ordered, done! By the way, in general, best source for ordering oem style stuff? Trying to find a new gasket for my gas tank cap as the old is cracked and I am cleaning out tank.
17 Feb 2021 09:47 #5

www.kdirepros.com/category-s/372.htm

fit perfectly, just make sure it it venting once installed.  I think the screw layout is asymetrical to prevent screwing this up, but I still think its possible based on expereince!

The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve, warmblood58
17 Feb 2021 10:05 #6

for waht it is worth, in additon to checking carb jets for proper size, you might want to pressure test the assembled engine too.  The magneto side crank bearing runs hot as hell and a leak there or somewhere else will make tuning impossible and could cause meltdown.  I paid more for a 1OS piston than I did for my first 3 cars! (all under $150)
17 Feb 2021 10:08 #7

Replied by run103 on topic New '74 360DT Owner with a few Questions

Just a caution.  Pull the mag cover and have a look.  Its likely a real mess of dirt and rotted magnesium and if you dont clean  it up you will destroy the pulser and then the fun begins findind one of those. Just a observation after 20 restores
17 Feb 2021 12:53 #8

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Makotosun on topic New '74 360DT Owner with a few Questions

on the regulator, for correct wiring instructions, download this Yamaha service bull item. It was a known problem until the 1976 models.

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/service-bul...e-voltage-regulators
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
17 Feb 2021 21:09 #9

• warmblood58

18 Feb 2021 06:55 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart