facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Nuts and bolts

• Carldtyam
  • Carldtyam's Avatar Topic Author

Nuts and bolts was created by Carldtyam

Hi Wondered how alot of you overcome rusted nuts bolts screws, do you buy a big pack of random quality items to replace as you go, or send them all off to the cleaners, on my dt 250 every screw nut and bolt are rusted, I'am thinking of buying a selection pack.
16 Feb 2021 12:51 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jack on topic Nuts and bolts

Lot's of options but if you just want them de-rusted, Evaporust works great. it was suggested to me not long ago and it's amazing stuff.
16 Feb 2021 13:23 #2

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic Nuts and bolts

Shyted (a UK menber here) introduced me to evaporust and it really is great stuff.
Lots of us have had a go at nickel plating at home with great results and it's really easy to do and I found it very satisfying.
#7 on this thread has a link to a good video www.yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/...metal-plating#122396
There are plenty of nickel plating shops that will take your nuts and bolts and do a basket plating job for you, as Jack said "lots of options"
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
Last edit: 16 Feb 2021 13:38 by Pete-RT1.
16 Feb 2021 13:37 #3

• Quartermaster35
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Quartermaster35 on topic Nuts and bolts

I have purcashed three different "bolt kits" from Motodad24 for my DT1 on Ebay and all were of good quality.

(several others on the forum have purchased from him also)
1973 Yamaha CT3 175

Prior Bikes:
1973 Suzuki TS90
1977 Yamaha IT175
1978 Suzuki 390SP
1980 Yamaha 175 Tri-Moto
1969 Yamaha DT1 250
1981 Yamaha XS650 Special
1982 Suzuki GS550ES
1982 Honda 250R
1984 Honda Nighthawk "S"
2005 Kawasaki KLR650
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Scootern29, Rick C., MarkT, steam_biker
16 Feb 2021 14:03 #4

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Nuts and bolts

+1 For Evaporust as first port of call.

For random bolts etc where I'm not worried about originality, I've used Boltbase (ebay or their own website). Some on the UK based RD forum have used  Japanese metric fine nuts & bolts for classic bikes in stainless and chrome (mrmegapack.co.uk)

Many of the fasteners will still be available from Yamaha (Fowlers online, if you don't have a local dealer), although they can be stupidly expensive and sometimes a part has superseded to the wrong size or colour!! 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.

Finally, just in case you weren't already aware, and if some of yours are missing, the size of a lot of Yamaha bolts, screws etc are included within the part number. Explanations can be found at the start of most parts manuals or in the Tech Library on this forum.
16 Feb 2021 23:18 #5

Replied by shyted on topic Nuts and bolts

Evaporust is like this. Stuff in the solution one day let it soak for two days ,take it out .Minimum effort involved .$30 or £25 posted in the UK.
Thing is , what do you do next ? The finish in some cases will be gone.
Plating at home is good. It's as dear or cheap as you want to set up but the results are worth it. Depending on finish quality it can be labour intensive if you want a mint job ,however if your happy with a very decent one then treat with Evaporust and plate. 
I must say too,it depends how bad your screws are because the factory finish will either have corroded off or get under the factory treatment and lift it where by rust will eat away at the steel.
For complete ease Motodad 24 then you don't have to give two hoots about anything . Just click on , buy and fit .
By the way , Evaporust is fairly harmless stuff and i swear buy it SO BUY SOME
NOW!!!!!

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, JayB
Last edit: 17 Feb 2021 10:46 by shyted.
17 Feb 2021 10:33 #6

This message has an attachment image.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart