facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

74 Barn Find DT250 Mint

03 Jun 2020 14:22
Culleno97
More
Topic Author
74 Barn Find DT250 Mint #1
Hello everyone new to the forum and thought yall would appreciate my recent adventure. I've always been big into the XTs and recently I bought a house with my fiance in GA. As I'm tuning up her xt250 I get flagged down by a neighbor who tells me he has a DT250 in his shed that he hasn't driven in a long time. He asked me if I thought I could get it running for him and I thought I would love to see this man on a motorcycle he bought brand new in 74. The last tag that was on the bike is from 93 so I'm assuming it's been sitting since then. I've attached pictures for yall to take a look at. I'm not a big 2 stroke guy so I figured I'd get a consensus on exactly what to do to get this thing where he can just rip it around for a little. Hes in his late 70s so I dont want to give him any trouble. He said the last time he drove it that it died on him and he never tried again. He did fortunately take all the gas out. It's not showing any spark when I ground the plug to the motor but when I hook my voltmeter up to the tip of the plug it says it's getting 6V AC when I kick it over. Any advice will be more than appreciated so i can get this to the rightful owner and make a new friend. I'm sorry in advance if I posted this to the wrong article or what have you and will do better if I have.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post JayB, darinm, Commando

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jun 2020 16:35
mdscott
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
74 Barn Find DT250 Mint #2
Nice bike!, run a file across the points and spray with contact cleaner, a quick and dirty check. Thats for starters.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
'01 KDX220
'68 YG5T 80 Trailmaster
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger

03 Jun 2020 16:52
Culleno97
More
Topic Author
74 Barn Find DT250 Mint #3
Roger that Scott. Where are the points located? I just ordered a clymer. He had the factory operators manual but the XTs have a separate spot for them. I pulled what I thought would be the cover but only found the acculube pump assembly haha.

03 Jun 2020 16:54
mdscott
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
74 Barn Find DT250 Mint #4
Left side cover, behind the flywheel.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
'01 KDX220
'68 YG5T 80 Trailmaster
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger

04 Jun 2020 05:39 04 Jun 2020 05:44 by 2fishkev.
2fishkev
Collector
Collector
More
74 Barn Find DT250 Mint #5
Welcome to the forum. That’s great what your doing. Lotsa help here for the asking. Where you posted is fine. But, there’s a new member area where a lot of threads have been started on the same subject and they will help as far as things to go through. In the top bar is the tech library. The shop manual should be there.
We also have an xt area and the other bikes area. Sometimes you need a side piece I guess. I have an xt500 myself. It’s a coyote ugly kind of deal.

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/fng-...ased-a-dt-250-enduro

There’s a link to another thread same question. That’ll help.

04 Jun 2020 17:04
johninga
Open Class
Open Class
More
74 Barn Find DT250 Mint #6
Where are you in Georgia? I live in Milledgeville, 100 miles SE of Atlanta.

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart