facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Carb cleaning

• 4oaks
  • 4oaks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Big Dog Contributor
  • Big Dog Contributor

Carb cleaning was created by 4oaks

Hi all, I picked up a 1975 DT125 last weekend (I'll try to remember to make a post on that later) and am going through it to get it firing. I took off the carb and it looks like it is caked in mineral deposits rather than any form of old gas or sludge that I am used to. Does anyone have advice on cleaning out these deposits? Would acids be too corrosive to the carb metals or will typical carb cleaner do the trick? Thanks in advance!
26 Sep 2019 12:30 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Luke on topic Carb cleaning

The gallon bucket from NAPA called Mac's 6402 (I think....?) is good stuff. Has the dipping basket. I don't know the active ingredient, and it's not as potent as stuff you could once buy, but its good. It will remove the deposits.
26 Sep 2019 13:24 #2

Replied by smd3 on topic Carb cleaning

If you can afford it, and plan to keep working on this bike or others, I’d suggest an ultrasonic cleaner. I’ve been very happy with the results from mine, especially since you can just set it and forget it. I got a pretty good size one, but I sort of wish I went larger.
28 Sep 2019 05:34 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart