facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Need some Ideas Im confused

• Don Dieago
  • Don Dieago's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Need some Ideas Im confused was created by Don Dieago

Ok remember I was having issues with the Rex's ignition. I have bike running good starts right up and ride around town all day in 100 degree weather and ride it hard no problem pulls hard all thru revs. I slotted stator back plate and when I retarded timing to where the timing lights read it at close to tdc when I ride it sounded like gas was exsploding in pipe. just didnt run or sound right. so I advanced it 10-12 degrees runs fine around town 0-40 mph all day long. but twice when I run in high gear down hiway 50-60 mph temp starts going up above 400 degrees and starts detonating so bad sounds like rocks in cylinder and temp starts climbing even when I slow down. snowball effect. so I advanced timing another 5-6 degrees and same problem. let it cool and rock on at dirt biking speeds no problem. I went up one size on main even though plug looks perfect. Im thinking timing way way slow but if I put it where rex had it dang Im scared to touch kick lever. I know I built a chevy 350 once and timing was way slow and it got super hot super quick. If I ride around the city hard It stays 290-360 degrees temp but hit the road and in just 3 miles its 415 and climbing fast and can hear super bad detonation on piston I mean bad!!! Right now Im still advanced but about 10-15 degrees slower than what they sent it to me sent with. And like 325 I believe told me to do I checking at kicking speed not running speed
Last edit: 11 Sep 2019 06:42 by Don Dieago.
11 Sep 2019 06:34 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Need some Ideas Im confused

I don't know if Rex has some sort of timing advance curve built in. Maximum advance should be in the 18-20 degree range at higher RPM.

A few more degrees advance below about 3000 RPM can boost torque in the midrange. And of course timing needs to be retarded to start easy.

If there isn't a "curve" built in... timing stays fixed... then setting at 18 degrees BTDC should be pretty close.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
11 Sep 2019 11:24 #2

• Don Dieago
  • Don Dieago's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Don Dieago on topic Need some Ideas Im confused

Mark it must have because I was seeing way advanced Timing and rt325 said check it by just kicking it and it did go way down at cranking speed. But at cranking it was way more advanced then the specs said I forget what that was something like 3mm Rex said it should be where it needs to be But I been kicking bikes all my life and set where they had it I was truly scared to kick it.
11 Sep 2019 20:55 #3

Replied by liferbiker on topic Need some Ideas Im confused

something wrong if it kicks back that hard, & runs hot @ cruise speeds. Sounds too advanced initially (kick back) then retards itself too much @ cruise (retarded timing runs hotter) but the pinging could be a combination of heat, lean mix( raise needle some clip lower) or that timing controller "struck by lightning" and AFU. Maybe go back to AC points ignition & see if all is normal. Or tell whomever you would like to exchange controller as (tell them it ran fine B4) as you believe it to be bad & causing you all this grief, and the serious possibility of injurycaused by faulty controller causing your serious kick back issue. Being as its new, they shouldn't have a problem exchanging it. All the cost is in development, part itself probably has 5 bucks worth of electronics in it, & a logic chip or two.
11 Sep 2019 21:33 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart