facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

'76 fork tubes in 78 lowers?

• klp
  • klp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

'76 fork tubes in 78 lowers? was created by klp

Sorry in advance if this has been beat to death. I need fork tubes for my 78 400e. Franks has not responded - Ebay has nothing. DC has them but only for 76 bikes. They are both 34mm but I am concerned about the damping rod setup and the retaining snap ring for it.

Will all of the guts of my 78 tubes switch to the 76 tubes? Is length overall the same? I have contacted DC but no response as yet.

03 Jun 2023 03:35 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic '76 fork tubes in 78 lowers?

Hope someone can help. Numbers are different all the way on partzilla "76 to "78.
03 Jun 2023 03:48 #2

• klp
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by klp on topic '76 fork tubes in 78 lowers?

Thanks RT. I fear the numbers do tell the whole story. Mine are not pitted but bent so I have hope that a machine shop can assist but again no luck finding one so far.

The rest of the bike is great - It's a project that I put down 6 years ago, feels great to be riding it.

Came with no carb, bought a Mikuni - jetting is close with a 180 main I think I may have an exhaust restriction as it runs great to 6k then sputters a bit. I have to go through the oil pump, rear signals, build a rear rack/pannier standoff and then ride it!!

I have OEM grips and left mirror on the way.
04 Jun 2023 05:19 #3

• klp
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Anyone know of a shop that can straighten my tubes? They are not rusty at all - just bent just below the lower triple mount. I am not afraid to ship them wherever.

Thank you.
05 Jun 2023 17:09 #4

Replied by MarkT on topic '76 fork tubes in 78 lowers?

It seems unbelievable that you can't find a machine shop that will help...  "Machine shops" of our youth were more hands-on places that did repairs and maybe now they are all "CNC" shops where if they can't program a computer to do the job, they can't do it?

But still, there's a LOT of tractors and heavy equipment out there so there must be shops out there near you that repair stuff that bends and breaks?  Or maybe not. 

You could also spend 30 seconds doing a search online like I just did.  framestraightsystem.com/Motorcycle%20Fork%20%20Repair.htm

Sounds like they can do it.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
05 Jun 2023 19:43 #5

• klp
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Thanks Mark. Yeah it seems the machine shops in my area are none to brave - I was thinking v blocks and a press is all it would take.

I did find that shop in Michigan, I guess I was hoping for a first hand account - 'I sent my tubes to shop x and they were great'.

Thanks to all for your help, another DT will be smoking up the neighborhood soon.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
06 Jun 2023 02:02 #6

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic '76 fork tubes in 78 lowers?

Even a metal/steel fab shop should have equipment to do the job. My local shop have helped me when I brought stuff to them.
Sneezles61
06 Jun 2023 05:19 #7

• klp
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Thanks all.

DC did reply - as expected the internals are different.

My tubes are off to TN, not MI - I was wrong there. I talked to Rohn of Rohn jon's frame straight - seems like a solid guy.
07 Jun 2023 03:16 #8

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart