facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1978 DT400 General Advice resurrecting solid bike

• RamadiRat
  • RamadiRat's Avatar Topic Author
Finally got back to this project - I took the carb back apart and really cleaned it.. replaced the pilot jet, and the choke assembly. I thought I had cleaned the carb up before but it was rough inside. Put it all back together and while it started, it revved way out so... took it back apart and saw that I must have checked the reed valves at some point, well, the gasket between the rubber carb fitting and the cylinder was pretty dodgy so I made a new one.

This time she started and with adjustment of the air mixture, runs. I did some test runs around the neighborhood (we have some pretty intense hills) and she definitely runs much, much smoother than before... I think that between the air leaks, the choke remaining 'on', and possibly the pilot jet being clogged.. it ran before but not well.

I find that she idles reliably but.. up around 1200 rpms so... perhaps some fussing with that is in order. checked the plug and she's a nice ashen tan color so I think I have the mixture close. I'll try to post some GoPro video here soon.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Schu, Ht1kid, msavitt, Tinkicker
20 Oct 2023 15:19 #21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart