facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Just acquired a CT3

• Crazy Horse 124
  • Crazy Horse 124's Avatar Topic Author

Just acquired a CT3 was created by Crazy Horse 124

Yesterday I picked up a CT3. Its an interesting bike. Its complete except for the seat and turn signals, and the odometer shows 1,198. miles. The build date is Sept 1972 so its an early one. The gas tank is painted kind of a silver grey color, (rest of the bike is the original gold color). On the right side of the tank a chunk of body filler has been removed right where the tank emblem would go on the 69-71 bikes and there are mounting tabs for the emblems as well as the original gold paint. Is the normal?  Its a 50 year old bike that has sat most of its life. Its home in the shop on my Harbor Freight bike lift. The motor is stuck so I shot some WD40 in there. (all I had) Question: Has anyone tried Superzilla?  Or better question might be what works best to free up those rings?FYI there is a 1972 RT2 on Eugene ORegon Craigslist for $1,600 under motorcycle parts if anyone is looking. 
Last edit: 06 Jul 2023 11:51 by Crazy Horse 124. Reason: Add photos
02 Jul 2023 10:17 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Crazy Horse 124

Replied by Crazy Horse 124 on topic Just acquired a CT3

One other thing, there is a dealer decal on the swingarm "Gilbert Sportcycles" The phone number is 40 -251-2092  I am thinking 408 which is San Jose CA. Any of you California members remember this dealership?
Last edit: 06 Jul 2023 11:31 by Crazy Horse 124.
02 Jul 2023 11:32 #2

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by RT325 on topic Just acquired a CT3

I usualy succeed using a flywheel holding tool to apply some pressure on it. Any old oil doen the plug hole is good. Not good if the piston is at bottom & the oil runs out the exhaust but any down there must be better than nothing.
Hope ya have it--Runing by Lunchtime.
Just to add a randon thought. Be careful if turning it back wards. Won't be a problem just back n forth on the spot a little, but be Very sure the kickstart isn't engaged as forcing it backwards can do damage when the kick tops out. Unlikely cenario--but!!
I guess you've tried to kick it initialy as i would too. It's just that in a situation like your in with no motor movement the kick gear might still be hanging on--just!!.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Crazy Horse 124
Last edit: 02 Jul 2023 17:25 by RT325.
02 Jul 2023 17:20 #3

• Crazy Horse 124

Well I pulled the head this morning and It does not look to bad in there, Infact I do not see any rust, but the kick starter will not move the piston. I put more WD 40 on top of the piston.
05 Jul 2023 11:47 #4

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Just acquired a CT3

Crazy I would take the clutch cover off and check the kick start gear it could be stuck or the idler gear broken 
05 Jul 2023 14:54 #5

Replied by Tom P on topic Just acquired a CT3

WD40 isn't penetrating oil. Does very little to affect rust, unless you're using WD40 "brand" penetrating oil, and not the original WD40.
Last edit: 05 Jul 2023 15:20 by Tom P.
05 Jul 2023 15:19 #6

Replied by RT325 on topic Just acquired a CT3

Did you try turning the flywheel with a socket on the nut. If ya go 'anti clockwise' & it undoes the nut--she's tight or locked up somewhere inside. Piston is 'my' first choice or rings rusted to the bore.
05 Jul 2023 15:21 #7

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Just acquired a CT3

I think you can post pictures again can you post a picture of the piston and gas tank 72,3 has a flip top 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Crazy Horse 124
05 Jul 2023 15:31 #8

• Crazy Horse 124

I had a brain fart last night and realized it had the wrong gas cap on it, so it is an earlier tank. posted some picks ,

Bruce
Last edit: 06 Jul 2023 12:01 by Crazy Horse 124.
06 Jul 2023 11:29 #9

This message has attachments images.

Replied by Dennis D on topic Just acquired a CT3

I have a couple of tanks for the 73 CT. Need some help from the dent remover guy.
06 Jul 2023 18:35 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart