facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

CT3 turn signals slow flashing

• rsmith56
  • rsmith56's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

CT3 turn signals slow flashing was created by rsmith56

On my CT3, turn signals work and are bright, problem is that they flash really slowly at idle. They speed up some as the engine rpm increases. I have a new battery. Headlamp and tail/ stop lamp work. Any suggestions?
15 Jun 2023 08:29 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic CT3 turn signals slow flashing

Sure I posted a reply, but maybe I didn't submit? 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Anyway, first up make sure that the bulbs are 6v and not 12v.

If you're using an original style relay, then the wattage of the bulbs should more or less match the wattage shown on the relay casing. If using a modern relay, this shouldn't matter.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325, Ht1kid
15 Jun 2023 10:28 #2

• rsmith56
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by rsmith56 on topic CT3 turn signals slow flashing

Would that be part number 115-83350-62-00 ?  That part shows unavailable. I found a part for flasher on EBay
says it is 6v-12V flaser relay for CT 3.  ??
Last edit: 15 Jun 2023 11:18 by rsmith56.
15 Jun 2023 11:11 #3

Replied by MarkT on topic CT3 turn signals slow flashing

The tiny batteries struggle to maintain voltage under the significant load of the flashers.

A modern 6v 2 wire electronic flasher unit is not nearly as voltage and load sensitive as the original type...

Early flashers work kind of like a quick self-resetting circuit breaker... lights come on with the switch and the load causes a "circuit breaker" inside the flasher to basically overheat and break the circuit so the lights shut off. After a second or two the "circuit breaker" heats up and breaks the circuit again. Repeat.

If there is not enough load... you can simulate this by removing a flasher light bulb... the "circuit breaker" never gets hot enough and the side with only one bulb will never flash.

Voltage = pressure so when battery voltage drops, the "flow" (amps) to the bulbs drops as well. In this case the "circuit breaker" in the flasher takes longer to heat up and the lights flash slower.

So you can probably see how the old design flash rate is sensitive to bulb wattage and system voltage.

More modern design flashers are more like "timer circuits" and are far less sensitive to bulb wattage and system voltage.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
15 Jun 2023 11:14 #4

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic CT3 turn signals slow flashing

Yes, although any 6v relay of that style would work.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2023 11:16 by Gr8uncleal.
15 Jun 2023 11:15 #5

• rsmith56
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Thank you sir!

I have been reading and studying all the new posts and lots of the old threads, to try to educated myself. However, when it comes to electric and wiring, I am not very capable.
15 Jun 2023 11:22 #6

Replied by RT325 on topic CT3 turn signals slow flashing

Never seen one with both 6 & 12 volt written on the base. Not sure how that would work. I'm not up with these modern relays but back in the day i'd have used a low wattage relay & bulbs for the least effort for the battery. 6volt 8 watt x2 + 3. Meaning two 8watt bulbs plus a 3 watt in the tacho flasher warning light. I must get up to speed on these new fangled low draw flashers & headlights etc.
15 Jun 2023 16:18 #7

Replied by RT325 on topic CT3 turn signals slow flashing

This page is crazy in my opinion. 12 volt 27 watt=34 watt draw [no way] maybe in an electric start 125 generator setup but not a CT3.
Then up top it says 6volt 21 CP which i think is 17 watt & still make 34 watt all up, or 37 counting tacho bulb & just too much for the small battery in my opinion.
www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy...73/ct3/flasher-light
There's a higher daytime charge rate under the tank in the mag loom [by memory] something like green into green red but not sure now. Also if you have replaceable headlight bulb in the reflector what number is on 'that'. & also tail bulb number. Tail & headlight if too high reduce charging for the battery--to a point. I guess if yours has the tail light powered by the battery as US models seem to & not from the mag, then--more draw on the battery--poor battery.
Sorry i'm probably wondering off the case so don't read too much into it.
Ok, back & still wondering lol. Here's a pic of the relay. says 6.4 volt 17wx2+3 on the base listed under the part number i think you gave. I save the pic & turned it around a bit for a better look.
www.cmsnl.com/products/flasher-relay-assembly-115_1158335062/
Last edit: 15 Jun 2023 16:43 by RT325.
15 Jun 2023 16:26 #8

Replied by SKYDANCER46 on topic CT3 turn signals slow flashing

Exactly my thought RT325. It's almost a 1/2 volt drop at the battery when they flash. Makes you wonder why all these 6 volt Yamaha enduro's with turn signals don't have the tail light/brake light dimming issue? All 3 circuits are connected at the key switch. Red,Brown and Blue. How does any bike not dim the brake or tail light or have a hard time blinking even with a perfectly good bike with no resistance issue's? Is there a diode somewhere in the harness that we don't know about  tape over on these bikes which goes bad causing a issue? I never seen or heard of one. 
Even at full charge these small 2ah batteries have very little capacity reserve to handle much of a load.  

Rsmith56,
When your turn signals light up and stay on does your brake light or tail light dim at the same time?

1970 DT250C
Last edit: 15 Jun 2023 19:45 by SKYDANCER46.
15 Jun 2023 16:56 #9

• rsmith56
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Not noticeably. I know they did not dim enough to not be visible from my vantage point beside the tank.

Another note: all the bulbs are original equipment except stop/tail bulb. Headlamp is also, tho lens is cracked. The turn signal lamps were remove when owner bought it and boxed up. I did get them and all hardware. A women owned this bike and had 322 original miles. 
Last edit: 15 Jun 2023 17:57 by rsmith56.
15 Jun 2023 17:36 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart