facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Interchangeability of ignition/main switches for CT, DT and RT2 & 3

• Gr8uncleal
  • Gr8uncleal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
As per the title.

Is anyone able to confirm that the main switch bodies are the same for the CT, DT and RT2 and 3 bikes?

The number and colour of the wires coming from the switch are the same (10) and the switch "legends" in the service manuals are the same. The only difference that I can see is that the CTs use two block connectors on the wire ends, whilst the DTs and RTs use one block and four single bullet connectors.

Thanks.
14 Sep 2021 03:17 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I think you're asking about USA model CT2/3 and DT2/3 and RT2/3?  (you should be able to include the 1971 CT1c, DT1E, and RT1b)

With the wire legends the same I would say if you want to fiddle with the connectors the answer would be yes.  Caveat is US bikes in that era had the talllight run from the battery while other countries still ran taillight from the engine.  A switch for taillight running off engine would have less wires...  maybe 9 wires?  So watch for that. 

Hopefully DEET or one of the experts will come along and correct the above info if I'm wrong. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Gr8uncleal
14 Sep 2021 05:44 #2

• Gr8uncleal
  • Gr8uncleal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Thanks Mark.

My DT3 came with only the ignition switch base plate and wires so, as I managed to find a complete used switch, this base was surplus to requirements.

I considered it too good/useful to bin and, believe it or not, whilst I was considering sticking it on fleabay, a "parts only" switch appeared on fleabay here in the UK. Naturally I considered it my duty to buy this parts switch!

Once I had it in my sticky hands, I asked the seller where it originated from and he said a European RT1B (apparently this had the badged tank, reed valve engine and was/is very rare). He did post details of the bike here a while back.

My intention is to make an ignition switch for a US model DT/RT2/3. If the CT2/3 is the same bar the wire connectors, then I can give any potential buyer the option of this fitment as well. I need to compare the rotating plate with the copper inserts with the one on my DT3.

I still have the base plate and wires that came with the Euro parts and photos are attached. At first glance, the wire numbers and colours look the same as same era European RDs. Position II on the ignition switch will be for the park light that we had (see the blue wire with the red stripe), so I guess that the lights on/off switch on the left switchgear must have been utilised and not blanked off.

I shall continue ferreting around for any Euro parts lists and manuals that might provide more info. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

14 Sep 2021 06:46 #3

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart