facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Is there a known length problem with replacement DT/RT clutch cables?

• Gr8uncleal
  • Gr8uncleal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Odd one this.

When I bought my RT2 three years ago, it came with a new, but unfitted, replacement clutch cable. When I finally got around to fitting it, I discovered that the inner cable was about an inch too long. I therefore bought a nos period repro which fitted fine. The "wrong" new cable was put to one side.

Now fast forward to my DT3.

When I took delivery of the bike, I noticed that the clutch cable went through a hand made spacer of about an inch before it entered the crankcase - clearly this one was the wrong size as well. This one was quite old and tatty, but clearly not the original. This afternoon I removed it and compared it to my new wrong one from the RT2 and the inner cable and outer cover dimensions are the same.

So, as per the title of this thread, is there a known length issue with some repro clutch cables for these models?

Thanks.
30 Apr 2021 12:40 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The story I heard was that someone may have measured an old used cable to repop them. It had a compressed sheath so it made the dimensions incorrect on the new ones that were made.

I have several old cables that the cable itself is stretched very slightly but the sheath is compressed almost an inch. This will also happen with the front brake cable.

The cablesĀ  I have got from KDI have fit properly.
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr, Gr8uncleal
30 Apr 2021 15:15 #2

• Gr8uncleal
  • Gr8uncleal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
30 Apr 2021 23:05 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart