facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Float bowl gasket.

• Yamrt3
  • Yamrt3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Float bowl gasket. was created by Yamrt3

Do I put the float bowl gasket on dry or with any type of sealer as well? 
Asking because this is my first carb rebuild and I don't need any mistakes. Thanks.
12 Apr 2021 13:28 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Float bowl gasket.

MarkT recommended soaking in petrol for a while, otherwise it might leak for a day or so.
12 Apr 2021 13:29 #2

• Yamrt3
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Yamrt3 on topic Float bowl gasket.

Will do. I guess it's installed wet after soaking. I'll go to the tech file now and find out the torque value for the srews for the bowl. Thanks for all your help. Hopefully I can start it in the next few days. One more thing, when I put the carb back on, the cylinder with the long needle that is attached to the throttle cable and goes into the carb, does it go in dry or with a little oil on it for lubrication since it slides up and down in that bore with the movement of the throttle?
12 Apr 2021 13:48 #3

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic Float bowl gasket.

Be careful when tightening the float bowl screws. The bowl is brittle. Soaking the gasket in gas will help soften it. Don't be too agressive trying to stop it from leaking. Give it a day or 2 and snug the screws a little more. It's easy to crack the bowl mounts.

The slide tends to get some gas on it while running. I don't believe it's necessary to oil it before installing.
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
12 Apr 2021 14:04 #4

• Yamrt3
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

That's exactly the info I needed. I'll be careful and follow that to the letter.
Gotta love this forum.
12 Apr 2021 14:19 #5

Replied by MarkT on topic Float bowl gasket.

I've never pre-soaked a float bowl gasket.  Must be someone else that recommended that?  Not a bad idea though.

What I have said many times is don't worry about inital seepage if using an original Mikuni/Yamaha gasket.  It can take a couple days but gas will swell up the gasket and the leak will stop.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
12 Apr 2021 17:49 #6

• Yamrt3
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Someone mentioned that you did that and it makes sense so I'm going to do it. I read a lot of your posts and have used a lot of your info in this restoration of my RT3 with great success, so I'm not surprised someone thought that you did this gasket thing. Thanks Mark, keep the info coming, I use it all.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
12 Apr 2021 18:01 #7

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart