facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Engine cutting out SOS

• AnthandEmma
  • AnthandEmma's Avatar Topic Author

Engine cutting out SOS was created by AnthandEmma

Got a 1972 LT2 100 yamaha starts fine but cuts out after a minute or so. Just stops dead as if turned off with the key. Checked and cleaned carb and all components, new air cleaner, new spark plug, fuel taps fine and fuel flow, clean fuel tank, compression seems fine but have no tester to check.
Can anyone point me in the right direction, thanks
Last edit: 21 Dec 2020 22:51 by AnthandEmma. Reason: Typo correction
21 Dec 2020 11:59 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Engine cutting out SOS

I'm guessing you mean LT2?. T next to R on keyboard. So to stop dead like that with no hint of leaning starving for fuel before stopping i'm guessing electrical. Heat & vibration can damage the source coil in the mag but they're pretty reliable as heavier windings than modern cdi mag coils. Be good if you could quickly check for spark after it stops. Have a spare plug in your pocket so not wasting time removing existing one. How soon will it run again--instant--couple of minutes--walk home. Check points gap & points clean but if it runs it shouldn't suddenly cut out without a misfire. Set plug gap close like 20 max & points at 12-14max just for a try. Is the lighting coil ok & not loose on its pole as think--not sure--the lighting coil might be involved to earth the ignition source coil. Could be main plug coil but unlikely although there's some cheap ones out there to go try. I forgot condenser but if faulty you could get a very large flash at the plug but a spark with no oomph in it. After all that woffle--not out of fuel lol.
21 Dec 2020 14:15 #2

• AnthandEmma

Replied by AnthandEmma on topic Engine cutting out SOS

Thats great thanks, plenty for us to look into after work. Will let you know. Thanks again. Ps. Defo not out of fuel lol
21 Dec 2020 22:50 #3

Replied by MarkT on topic Engine cutting out SOS

Gas cap vent plugged.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr
22 Dec 2020 06:53 #4

Replied by asco on topic Engine cutting out SOS

I am dealing with a 100cc bike that runs and idles well but as soon as you shift into second gear the bike just falls flat on it's face. ( KE 100 1978 ). I am leaning in two different directions. The bike is very clean and rust free. The odometer shows 10,000 miles.

( Either it's jetted too rich or the exhaust pipe needs to be burned out ). Soon enough it will expose itself..
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
22 Dec 2020 07:14 #5

• AnthandEmma

Replied by AnthandEmma on topic Engine cutting out SOS

Thanks for suggestion, tried running with cap open but no different
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Snglsmkr
22 Dec 2020 12:02 #6

With the KE100, does it rev right out if you give it a good handful in neutral?. If it won't rev then lift the air filter out then try again & then if 'no' then pull the exhaust baffle out & try again--but not close to the neighbors haha.
22 Dec 2020 13:54 #7

Replied by asco on topic Engine cutting out SOS

The engine will rev out in neutral. It will also rev out in first gear. The brand new foam air filter is dry ( not oiled ) and I was planning on removing it - to see whether that's an obstruction of airflow, in addition to the aftermarket ( Indonesian ) gas cap that has 3 feet of hose on it. The baffle is missing. The previous owner had rigged up something out of copper and I have removed that. I am certainly appreciative and open to all suggestions regarding this rotary valve small carburetor conundrum..
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
22 Dec 2020 14:47 #8

Ok, let's go the other way & consider it might have a partially blocked main jet. Will rev with no load but gives out when the 'real' pressure is on. Could give the choke a flick or even leave it open at the moment of fading out. I'm too far away to be useful in NZ but they're a good little motor. On early Yamaha rotary valve little bikes the steel or alloy center drive used to rip out of the disc but they were totally fiber where i'm guessing the KE is a steel disc or something. Anyway--when the center let go it would run but barely pull itself along as the valve just randomly spun & not timed. That's all clutching at straws though. We love videos lol with good audio if pos. Just thinking back--55 years haha- we also had strange things happen if the vent hose from the carb was inside its housing & not vented to outside as under revs it could keep the floats up & not let fuel into the bowl. Stop for minute or just idle & would come right. Model i'm thinking of the vent pipe could exit out a hole underneath. All pretty unlikely events though.
22 Dec 2020 15:44 #9

Sorry AnthandEmma i've sort of wandered off your case. keep us up to date with progress, if any. Cheers.
22 Dec 2020 15:50 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart