facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Kick start lever problem

• SoCalNick72
  • SoCalNick72's Avatar Topic Author

Kick start lever problem was created by SoCalNick72

OK so here is my issue, when riding my bike (72 DT250) my motocross boot bumps the kick lever causing starter gear to grind. I have tried moving the kicker to a different position but the problem continues. I tried fitting a folding MX250 kick lever which might work but the fit is not ideal. Does anyone know if the MX250 clutch cover will bolt right up and allow proper fit of the kicker? Or maybe another solution for this problem.
27 Nov 2020 22:15 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Kick start lever problem

Ok, 1972 is just DT2 as opposed to DT250 "74 when everything changed. Sorry, only pointing that out so we're on the same page when talking what fits what etc. So--RT2MX folds at the base if that helps. I was looking for DT2MX but same horse for kickstart. I'm thinking DT2MX or RT2MX cover would fit your DT2 if you're looking to change the cover Guessing a little but Maybe they step in closer with a shorter kick start shaft plus a folding lever so well out of the way for motocross. But on a DT2 "72 the exhaust gets in the way i think, for tucking it well out of the way. You mentioned MX250 but that means "74 & motor was totally redesigned & so was the frame. In saying that i'm sure the kick lever would fit. I had a folding one on one of my relics & think it was off an XS650. Here's a partzilla drawing of an XS1 but all similar on those models. I'll leave it there as starting to confuse myself.

Ok, i hunted around & found a pic of my ratty old DT1 which i have a folding at the base lever off something. Don't think its a 650 lever as they're a lot fatter at the base & unnecessary for yours. Here's a DT250 "74 lever. Probably plenty of those around if the lever is tall enough as nothing worse than having it fold your toes back against the footrest if the lever's not tall enough. So after all that, i was no help at all lol. Think my pic is going to come up too small to see the lever but save & & expand it up if it will.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy.../dt250a/kick-starter

www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1970/xs1/starter

www.motorcyclecruiser.com/montana-xs650/
Last edit: 28 Nov 2020 00:15 by RT325.
27 Nov 2020 23:46 #2

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• SoCalNick72
  • SoCalNick72's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by SoCalNick72 on topic Kick start lever problem

Thanks fo the help, still getting my terminology straight, the lever I have is supposed to be from a DT2MX and it fits about like the one in your picture. It’s an improvement but it does rub the pipe. The oil fill cap/casting won’t allow it to be clocked further forward. I had the same thought about the kick start shaft length after looking at both covers, I will see if I can find part numbers to help clarify weather the shafts are the same.
28 Nov 2020 08:26 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic Kick start lever problem

Found pic of one of my toys i've not played with for a few years buried in the farm shed. If you can expand the pick up it looks like that's where what i thought was a 650 kick lever went to. Heavy & strong but looks like i had to set it back to clear the filler bung. About time gave it a run lol--or not. Has a 360 crank and a DT1MX cylinder. Confused?, i am, or was when i made it lol. Must be about 280cc. 70x70 bore & stroke.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, JayB
28 Nov 2020 17:57 #4

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart