facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Extracting Old Fuel from Tank: Best Way?

• Flobee5757
  • Flobee5757's Avatar Topic Author

Extracting Old Fuel from Tank: Best Way? was created by Flobee5757

Hi!
Super new here and a beginner with my '73 RT3 I was gifted from my Dad (under the condition to restore it:). Anyways, the fuel in the tank is probably a few years old so I think it's a good idea to start with new fuel. Does anyone have any recommendations as to the best way to go about this? I'm assuming removing the tank to get every drop out?
Any advice is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!
14 Oct 2020 12:35 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Extracting Old Fuel from Tank: Best Way?

Welcome. If your fuel smells like our rubbish in NZ them man you're in for a treat lol. Just remove tank & be careful doing 'that' as when lifting the back you could easily catch it on the steering head & damage the paint at the highest point at the front. Then on its side & fuel tap "pet cock" out & away ya go. Probably wear some throw away gloves as it's a sting you'll never get rid of--if its carrying old fuel. Personal i just get the water blaster in there & give it a flush out. Hard to get it all out the top because the filler neck steps down in a little. Others will have better up to date methods i'm sure, like soak in some magic potion. There's lots of options i've not tried.
14 Oct 2020 14:48 #2

Replied by Pedalcrazy on topic Extracting Old Fuel from Tank: Best Way?

If the old gas left varnish in the tank I've used Gunk carb cleaner (gallon can) poured in, sloshed around and let sit. Slosh it around to soak the whole inside several times to keep it wet. I use that stuff to soak carbs and gets all the varnish out. If inside of tank is rusty then I use Evaporust (5 gallon bucket) and pour it in and soak it. I know other guys here use homemade recipes that may be cheaper. The Evaporust is used to remove rust from all parts of the bike during restoration. Good luck.
1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jaxx
14 Oct 2020 18:54 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart