facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Clutch Will Not Disengage

• Buttertac
  • Buttertac's Avatar Topic Author

Clutch Will Not Disengage was created by Buttertac

Hey Guys...I just bought a 1970 CT1. I’m new to motorcycles but I’m loving working on the bike. I changed the clutch discs and steels but the clutch will not disengage. Adjusted the screw and still no luck. Takes a decent amount of pressure to pull the lever but I can see the adjustment screw/cam move a quarter inch or more. The rear wheel spins a tiny bit easier when I pull the clutch lever but still not totally disengaged clutch. Any thoughts?
01 Nov 2021 13:08 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Clutch Will Not Disengage

Without getting too carried away just yet--with the plates removed can you spin the clutch center hub freely. Have had many times in the old days where there's almost zero clearance on the hub so next time--or first time it's tightened after being apart for some other reason it comes up tight & won't revolve freely if at all. So had to slightly modify--"Take a few thou off" the back where the kick gear fits & is part of the basket so it could spin freely. If it's not that then we'll start again. Was it ok before you got into it. Can you see the pressure plate lift etc etc. Just reading your post again, if you haven't had the hub nut undone then unlikely that problem if it was ok before changing plates.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: DaveHunter
01 Nov 2021 14:42 #2

• Buttertac

Replied by Buttertac on topic Clutch Will Not Disengage

RT325...Thank you for your reply! The clutch would not disengage when I got the bike. Had to get it rolling and pop it into second gear. It ran through the gears. I opened the case and the clutch plates and steels were shot. They were pretty much stuck together. I changed out the friction plates and steels figuring that would do the trick. I presoaked the fictions before installing. I did not check to see if the pressure plate lifted since I had the cover on the other side off as well. It crossed my mind that maybe the ball between the pushrods was missing but there is a lot of tension when I pull the clutch lever. I’m thinking I need to drain the oil and remove the cover again. 
01 Nov 2021 17:08 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic Clutch Will Not Disengage

Sounds like you're doing everything right. You might be able to 'just' see in the oil filler hole if the plates are separating but it the lever feels heavy like its pushing the pressure plate then i guess it must be lifting. Be prepared to go back in i think.
On the other side you get the best lift by freeing the cable adjuster at the handle lever then altering the adjuster bolt until it touches then back a 1/4 turn or so, then take up the cable play. Cable lower arm 'can' get bent if it has to work too hard like if the actuator worm is dry of grease-oil-lube then give excess cable to adjust but probably not that if it feels like its lifting. Hope there's a simple answer.
01 Nov 2021 18:29 #4

• Buttertac

I appreciate the advice. I’ll take a peek though the dip stick hole and try adjusting the cable. I’ll let you know how I make out. Thanks again!
01 Nov 2021 19:29 #5

Replied by adguy2112 on topic Clutch Will Not Disengage

Wondering if you changed out the clutch cable. Maybe one of the experts here can attest if worn cables can contribute. Worst case you get a smoother action with a new cable. About $20 plus shipping on KDI. 
01 Nov 2021 20:23 #6

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Clutch Will Not Disengage

AND... find oil designed for a wet clutch... I learned that one..
Sneezles61
02 Nov 2021 05:47 #7

• Buttertac

Have not had time to dive into the issue but I did peek through the oil fill hole and the clutch plate is moving. Going to need to open it up again to figure it out. Thanks for the thoughts. I'll post an update when I figure it out.
03 Nov 2021 17:08 #8

Replied by MarkT on topic Clutch Will Not Disengage

Don’t forget to take RT325’s advice, remove all the discs/plates and make sure inner hub spins free in neutral. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
03 Nov 2021 17:33 #9

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart