facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Leak down test failed

Replied by yamayeeha on topic Leak down test failed

Interestingly - engine 8582 is the same as yours and has no clip. Also has front numbers stamped that are close to engine number. JGersh numbers are also in the ballpark, and yours is close to your frame number. 

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, brigsy
Last edit: 04 Jun 2021 23:38 by yamayeeha.
04 Jun 2021 23:01 #31

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic Leak down test failed

JGresh wrote: "The more interesting part though is the first change notes the elimination of a right side circlip at the same time."

I am not nearly as familiar with the 250/360/400 models...  But I'm pretty darn sure that:

- Early 250's did not have a circlip to retain the RH clutch side crank seal
- Later 250's had the circlip to retain the crank seal in the RH case
- Service bulletin reference to eliminating a circlip has to do with the transmission, not the crankshaft...  most likely the transmission input shaft bearing on early models had a circlip on both sides...  replaced by a cast-in boss on the inside of the right case on later models. (Maybe someone who knows more than I do about the 250's can confirm?)
- Enduronut and/or DEET probably know all the details of these changes/updates/improvements including the exact day/time it happened and the names of the assembly line workers who assembled the first examples.

(Well, maybe I'm exaggerating a little on that last one.)

This image is hidden for guests.

If this was my bike I'd be tempted to get a matching case set...  Especially since Yamaha obviously "matched up" the early cases as evidenced by the number stamps...  this is exactly what many manufacturers did.  On later bikes, manufacturing tolerances may have improved to where matching and serializing halves wasn't needed?  I just personally feel better about a matched pair.  Many available on ebay for reasonable prices.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: brigsy, JGersh
Last edit: 05 Jun 2021 08:39 by MarkT.
05 Jun 2021 08:38 #32

• brigsy
  • brigsy's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by brigsy on topic Leak down test failed

Noticed two more stampings here: just thought I’d post out of curiosity to see if they have any significance. The first is on the rear underside of the right case. What I thought was odd is that the front of the right case is stamped 3265, the back 3290. Second is a “C” on inside of exhaust port. Have not spilt cases, waiting on parts and tools yet.  
68 DT1 003325
09 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
15 Jun 2021 19:12 #33

This message has attachments images.

Replied by Bdee on topic Leak down test failed

Was any more progress made?   I'm just curious. It doesn't have any bearing (pun) on anything I am currently working on.  But to have gone through all that research, discussion and speculation and not have the issue resolved is frustrating.

Never mind,  resolution is here : dt1 up running
Last edit: 25 Apr 2022 09:22 by Bdee. Reason: found my answer.
25 Apr 2022 09:20 #34

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart