facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

I screwed up my bike- Help!

• Greg69DT1
  • Greg69DT1's Avatar Topic Author

I screwed up my bike- Help! was created by Greg69DT1

70 RT1
Bike was running fine (start of every good story). I replaced the cylinder base gasket because I thought it was leaking. It turned out the leak was from the oil feed line in the side of the cylinder. I saw some scoring on the cylinder and piston but the bike had been running fine so I didn't sweat it. I put it back together torqued it all up and bled and primed the oil line up to the cylinder.

The bike did not start but it did seize. I took the head off, put some 2 stroke oil in the piston and got the piston free by turning the engine backwards with the rear wheel in 1st gear. Piston was then free and everything is moving nicely. I crank it with the head off until im tired and it seems good. I put it all back together again and it promptly seizes back up. I take it apart AGAIN and now the going backwards trick is not working.

What did I do wrong? Is there some trick to putting the cylinder back on that I missed?
07 Oct 2020 17:03 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Pedalcrazy on topic I screwed up my bike- Help!

Sounds like maybe you didn't get the rings positioned correctly when you slid the cylinder on. You saw the little tits in the ring grooves of the piston, yes? The opening in the rings has to be positioned at those tits when you slide the cylinder on. Critically important so you don't bind up and break a ring and gouge the cylinder. Slide it back off and verify. No other reason I can think of since it was running. You didn't remove the piston and re-install front to back? Don't know just guessing now. Post what you figure out.
1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, bluntz465
Last edit: 07 Oct 2020 17:12 by Pedalcrazy.
07 Oct 2020 17:11 #2

Replied by RodT on topic I screwed up my bike- Help!

Did you take the piston off of the rod when you took the cylinder off? I have seen pistons put in backwards.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2020 17:48 by RodT.
07 Oct 2020 17:43 #3

Replied by apex on topic I screwed up my bike- Help!

I'll chime in and say yes, I think a ring is sitting on top of one of the retaining "tits" and you now have a ring popped out of the ring land & hung up on a port.
Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post: bluntz465
07 Oct 2020 19:23 #4

• Greg69DT1

Replied by Greg69DT1 on topic I screwed up my bike- Help!

Thank you guys. I did not pay attention to the "tits" (first time I've ever said that!). I'll have to see if I can get it unstuck, pull the cylinder off and reinstall. Any tips on getting those rings in properly?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: bluntz465, BajaBronco
08 Oct 2020 10:36 #5

• Greg69DT1

...and no I did not take the piston off the connecting rod.
08 Oct 2020 10:38 #6

Replied by BajaBronco on topic I screwed up my bike- Help!

There was a sticker I saw when I was a teen on a 56 VW - said "if it has tits or wheels it will give you problems." This thing apparently has both.....now what......

Good luck and let us know the prognosis once apart.
Andrew
70 RT-1M
71 DT-1E 11/70
71 DT-1E 12/70
The following user(s) Liked this Post: bluntz465, Schu, Pedalcrazy
08 Oct 2020 10:51 #7

Replied by Steve F on topic I screwed up my bike- Help!

:ROFLOL :ROFLOL :ROFLOL :ROFLOL :ROFLOL
1974 DT250A
1974 DT250A
1977 IT175D "Alex"
1978 IT175E
1972 DT2 "Adam"
1973 DT3
"And there ya have it"
08 Oct 2020 12:50 #8

Replied by Pedalcrazy on topic I screwed up my bike- Help!

Ok then that confirms your problem. Slide it back off...could be tough if "stuck" like you say but it has to come off. Worse thing probably would be to break a ring and have it fall into the case. Be aware of that possibility. After apart....Look for damage to rings, piston and cylinder from being bound up. I'm a little anal about those things because you can ruin a lot of parts if there is damage and your spinning the assembly at 6000 or 7000 RPMs!

When going back together...position the rings where they go then carefully lower the cylinder with one hand while compressing the rings with the other. First time is always a little tricky. If there is no damage the rings will stay in their correct spot if you pay attention to that while you compress them and slide the cylinder on. Pretty critical to get it right!

BTW there is a top and bottom to the rings...make sure you have them on right and not upside down. You'll see the ends are angled and will only compress correctly if in right side up. Look at the rings when in the piston grooves and make sure you can fully compress them. You should see what I mean if you look at those "tits" and how they are constructed along with the angle of the ends of the rings. A lot of words there but got to say tits again.
1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
Last edit: 08 Oct 2020 15:08 by Pedalcrazy.
08 Oct 2020 14:50 #9

• Greg69DT1

Mystery solved! Boy I am a terrible mechanic. Pulled the cylinder off. no problem. The piston rings were lined up good on the pins on the piston. The engine would still only move about 1/2 inch. I decided "F%&^ it" and turned the engine with the flywheel nut. By the grace of the Yamaha God a crushed exhaust pipe spring comes up with the connecting rod!!!!! Holy crap...the one part I was missing after putting her back together. So when I pulled the cylinder off the first time I left the exhaust spring hanging on the cylinder and it jumped off into my crankcase. Then I carefully taped up my crankcase so nothing would get in there. LOL This is a safe place right? You guys wouldn't laugh at me would you???

Now I just have to order more gaskets and try it again.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., 2fishkev, 1971DT250, bluntz465, RT325, Snglsmkr, Pete-RT1, Commando
08 Oct 2020 14:56 #10

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart