facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

MX fun with my AT1b

• Bbd83
  • Bbd83's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

MX fun with my AT1b was created by Bbd83

What's up guys, been missing the forum so I thought to throw a thread up on getting some inspiration for my second AT1, a 1970. I got the PO to throw this bike in when I found my 76' DT400. It was pretty bad off, motor stuck, missing quite a bit, tank super rusty, no chain or brakes or throttle, etc. I've brought it back and am getting closer to that first ride. Waiting on new brake shoes for rear and I did a fresh top end on her too. My AT1c went back to 100% original so I wanna have a bit more fun with this one. I freak out over the MX ATs and really anything vintage mx. Have some Kenda Klassics in my shopping cart, just need to decide on sizes. Hit me with some cool mx stuff... I've seen some pretty sweet air cleaners on here, I do have the factory airbox but something custom would be sweet if a member is offering them. I kinda wanna remove the lights but it sure is nice to have a headlight when the trails get darker than you expected and I do wanna see this one on the dirt pretty often. I love the 175 top end swap idea. You guys just going to eBay for replacement seat cover? So, shoot me some sweet ideas and inspiration for the bike!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tex, LC Garage
09 Aug 2020 22:09 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Bbd83 on topic MX fun with my AT1b

Zero fun. That's what I get guys, where you at?? :)
12 Aug 2020 22:31 #2

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Does anyone know if a member is making the spun aluminum air cleaners for AT1 still? Couldn't find anything in classifieds.
19 Aug 2020 22:38 #3

Replied by shyted on topic MX fun with my AT1b

Hi Bbd83.
KDI restorations for your seat cover,see the add on the side bar.Dave is a sound guy to deal with.
I would also find a set of alloy rims and get the wheels re laced if you can't do them your self.
I think i have seen a round filter element and case conversion for the AT1 on the site somewhere. It was a plastic case so easier to deal with.
I don't know what you have available day to day in the US as i'm English,although i see the name Carnutt for rear shocks.
Personally i would put the later AT2 aluminium front fork on too and see about quality front springs.I have also seen quite a few GYTR pipes for sale in the US but they're not cheap.
Regards Shyted
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bbd83
19 Aug 2020 23:16 #4

Replied by MarkT on topic MX fun with my AT1b

If you ever come across a ATMX top end and pipe, it's a blast. I have a 73 ATMX and it's a lot of fun to ride... likes to lift the front wheel (unintentionally) in the lower gears when the revs come up.

175 enduro top end is likely cheaper and probably faster... but doesn't have the rush of power of the ATMX tuning which I find fun.

Even an aftermarket pipe is fun to have... usually loud and more power than the stock pipe. Reminds me of being a kid.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
19 Aug 2020 23:33 #5

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I got a seat cover on the way and just bought a pipe also, trick performance ahrma one off eBay. Thanks for the suspension info. I also have a 175 motor in a box I got with a parts bike, bike is screaming 175 top end at some point but want to do the other stuff first as it has a fresh stock top end right now. Tires are a must and want to do a full mx tread, anyone know the at1 mx sizing off the top if your head? Can check manual. I removed the speedo, tach, tailight and rack. Headlight is nice to have when the trails get a bit darker quicker than you expected. Thinking about doing a quick disconnect tailight/plate mount somehow in case of a quick commute as we have very loose on road laws where I'm at. Left rider peg is missing, whole assemble is there just peg gone. Looking for a good carb rebuild kit. Bike starts good and rides great but idle screw is very sensitive at about almost all in, was missing the spring so I used one I had around. I bought tank badges from euro dirt...better than nothing and that's about all i can say. Not impressed for almost 40/pair. Okay though as the bike will be trail ridden plenty, not a resto at all. Can't wait to get the new stuff!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: LC Garage
20 Aug 2020 11:24 #6

Replied by darinm on topic MX fun with my AT1b

I'd replace the foot pegs with some metal serrated style ones anyways, makes a big difference for creek crossings ect. I threw some of those badges on my trail bike and they are fine from a distance, kind of like the rest of the bike :)
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
20 Aug 2020 11:52 #7

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Haha i hear that Darin, my bikes were meant to be ridden anyway! Any recommendations or links to some budget foot pegs?
20 Aug 2020 13:04 #8

Replied by darinm on topic MX fun with my AT1b

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=122817530065&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Those desert pegs are sweet! I might get those. What tire size you running Darin?
20 Aug 2020 18:45 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart