facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Change from/to mineral/synthetic

• Fozzy500
  • Fozzy500's Avatar Topic Author

Change from/to mineral/synthetic was created by Fozzy500

Hi.
The three two stroke bikes I aquired recently (two of them CT's) came with full oil tanks - one with green and two with red oil, but i assume the colour is not a reliable way of identifying oil type. Now I need to top up. Is it OK to just drain the tanks and refill with the oil of my choice? I would normally choose mineral oil for these bikes.
Advice appreciated.  Thanks!
23 Jun 2024 07:30 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Change from/to mineral/synthetic

Most injector two stroke oils mix just fine as it is one of the "standards" they must meet...  some "specialty" oils don't play well with others and you don't know what someone used before so I almost always "flush" the system...  basically what you said but you must "bleed" the system anytime you drain the tank or it runs dry.  (See manual if you don't know what this means) 

When changing oils I leave the bleed screw out longer than I normally would to 1) make sure all the air is out of the tank hose, and 2) flush as much old oil from the system as possible. 

Red is a unusual dye color for "garden variety" two stroke oil that should mix.  So another thing I've done more than once is take an ounce or two of the oil in the tank and and mix it in a clear container with the new oil I'm going to use...  mix well...  then let it sit overnight.  Only one time did I have a visual separation in the oils the next morning.  That time I ran the bike on premix after the above procedure with the pump cable pulled to max and the pump outlet hose in a container until I was pretty sure all the old oil was flushed out of the system.  (don't forget to cap the engine side where pump hose connects or you'll have a vacuum leak)
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
23 Jun 2024 09:29 #2

• Fozzy500
  • Fozzy500's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Fozzy500 on topic Change from/to mineral/synthetic

Thanks for comments. Appreciated.
25 Jun 2024 10:25 #3

Replied by Wessi on topic Change from/to mineral/synthetic

the colour doesn't mean anything in terms of oil performance or base. I chose different colours for 2 stroke and gearbox oil, so I easily con see, where it's coming from, if there is a leak. 
26 Jun 2024 08:25 #4

Replied by RT325 on topic Change from/to mineral/synthetic

Not too relevant in your case nut back in the mid "70s our AG100B models came with a huge oil tank hung under the big farm carrier & had a flexible filler hose thing.
For some reason we had more than one farmer using a purple almost black twostroke oil that went like porridge over time & blocked the tank outlet.
Was a big oil tank & took ages before it needed topping up.
It had a smaller sight glass guessing 500ml tank lower down which gave you a safety buffer if you saw oil heading past the window it was almost past time to fill up.
Trouble was, oil color stained the glass & no-one probably remembered to look anyway.
So we had seizures.
Oil turned out to be a premix outboard oil they were using. Not sure why or who recommended it--but wasn't us!!.
Best stick to recommended oils for autolube pumps.
Found a couple of pics where you can see the oil tank under the carrier & the lower "Final Warning" sight glass mini tank in the right side pic..
I see the top tank has a glass as well.
photos.app.goo.gl/X8ES7qdSXSJg8Hhk7
Last edit: 27 Jun 2024 04:41 by RT325.
27 Jun 2024 04:06 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart