facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

New and lots of new guy questions

New and lots of new guy questions was created by cwick

Hey there. Inherited a 1971 dt1F 250. Was previously in poor shape and had a friend do a sort of basic resto on it. Don’t have too much cash to go buying NOS oem parts so it doesn’t look show room but the point is to make it roadworthy as a part time commuter. 

a question I have after searching forum. The worm gear clutch actuator that is nylon is cracked (thanks to me) and I see options for the xs version or the brass ones on eBay. 
my question is- after installing a new spring on the actuator arm, everything seems to function ok so do I even need the worm gear?
i’ve been searching for a new clutch (mine is slipping) and gonna give some eBay stuff a go unless someone chimes in to tell me otherwise. 

Wiring diagram- newer model manuals have great wiring diagrams. Does anyone have something similar for this model? 

thanks and have enjoyed lurking for a long time
25 Sep 2022 22:36 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by cwick on topic New and lots of new guy questions

I should also mention I’m hunting for parts and wow!! I had no idea up until this year when starting the hunt that the parts are incredible scarce and pricey! It looks like improvising is the name of the game for some parts

list Of what I need :
Speedo/tach (although may go digital like trail tech)
rear fender
Exhaust baffle and heat shield 
fuel tank badges (I saw the thread on these)
wire everything up register bike I’m SD and hit the road in CA!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
25 Sep 2022 22:50 #2

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic New and lots of new guy questions

This image is hidden for guests.

from near Salisbury, UK.

I believe that KDI might make good repro clutch actuators - see their link on the right of this page.

As well as wanted adverts on this forum, fleabay, Partzilla and CMSNL can be your friends for parts (others will post other suppliers).

As many parts were shared between models, and other parts fitted, even though they weren't meant for that model, it is very important to familiarise yourself with what a part looks like. I use CMSNL, this forum and the internet in general to see what part I need looks like, and CMSNL and Partzilla to see which other models used that part. Many parts are (accidentally) listed incorrectly, so do a very wide search (eg "Yamaha speedo").
25 Sep 2022 23:25 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic New and lots of new guy questions

Welcome from NZ. Your DT looks a hell of a lot better than mine lol. Mine goes better than it looks though. The split clutch actuator won't have been caused by anything you've done & like been split for some years. Makes operating the clutch hard on the lever as its forcing the split open & tighter. I'm using an RD400 type in my 360 but don't have any pics of fitting it. Makes for a nice clutch & is a 4 start spiral instead of 3. Think the outer on that is nylon & the actuator is steel. Bit of fiddling & machining to fit it in. The actuator I used is basically the same as the XS type I believe. The outer nylon spiral but has a steel covering to keep it good. On the other hand if you can replace yours without emptying your back account then I guess that's the easiest option. I'll see if I can find a pic of a typical XS type.
26 Sep 2022 02:58 #4

Replied by RT325 on topic New and lots of new guy questions

Ok found an RD350 one like mine on internet. Hope the pic loads.. Just google for all model options of new ones. There's a ball bearing that sits into it to run against the pushrod which yours will have too. Sometimes falls out but is retained by 3 little punch marks stopping it in theory from escaping.
Last edit: 26 Sep 2022 03:09 by RT325.
26 Sep 2022 03:06 #5

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic New and lots of new guy questions

This is what I used on my DT2, works great but you'll need a vice to install it and go slow when installing, also use plenty of lubrication.

Worm gear actuator
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
26 Sep 2022 03:13 #6

ok yeah. this was the brass one is was referring to on ebay. i may give this a go. but question still stands- i know its rhetorical, but is this little gear even needed? is is providing some resistance of some type or something?

thanks for the reply!
26 Sep 2022 08:37 #7

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic New and lots of new guy questions

Yes, it’s needed… just put one in my RT2… be sure you read the instructions BEFORE you attempt to install… that is what pushes the rod that spreads the plates apart…
Sneezles61
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
26 Sep 2022 14:14 #8

got it. ill give the xs conversion a go. thanks!
26 Sep 2022 16:09 #9

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart