facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

RT1 wiring question.

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic RT1 wiring question.

No problem, my knowledge is minimal but thanks to the forum it's getting better.
One thing I've learnt here is you'll want to replace the brake shoes, bad things can happen if they de-laminate.
If you get a chance to post a picture or two of the bike I'm sure we would all like to see it.
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev, Gr8uncleal, Murf
Last edit: 12 Sep 2020 10:03 by Pete-RT1. Reason: typo
12 Sep 2020 10:03 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic RT1 wiring question.

If you haven't done so already, it will be worth your while familiarising yourself with the CMSNL website (NL as in Netherlands, where they are based). As well as parts lists for the US models (but not early European ones!), they have a decent library of photos. I find it user friendly and you basically follow your nose on it.

I am attaching their photo of the correct ignition switch for your bike (part number 275-82508-71) - how does this compare with your own switch and harness?

It is probably well worth making a list of and researching the specifics of the parts needed for your bike - this way you won't keep on going back to the same seller for more parts and doubling, tripling etc your postage costs (don't ask me why I'm saying this! :Ugh).

Many Yamaha models of that era shared parts, or variants thereof. Sometimes the difference might just have been the type of connector on the end of a wire so, if you're happy messing with wiring, crimping etc, you can easily turn a "wrong" part into a correct one.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Murf
12 Sep 2020 10:06 #12

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Also, if the silver/grey sleeving is all discoloured and cracked, DEET here on the forum supplies top notch replacement in different sizes. He also stocks other stuff, so I refer back to my earlier point about putting a list together before ordering. His contact details are This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
12 Sep 2020 10:11 #13

Replied by RT325 on topic RT1 wiring question.

Not sure if this helps or hinders. DT1 but think wiring would be the same if yours is RT1 & not rt2 or 3--if they're different not sure. Scanned it myself--feeling quite clever haha. Well, did it 3 times as kept loosing where i'd put it.
12 Sep 2020 21:25 #14

This message has an attachment image.

Think my cell phone took a better image so try again.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Gr8uncleal, Murf
12 Sep 2020 21:48 #15

This message has attachments images.

That's ruined my plan as i can't see a white from the mag on the DT1 like your RT1. Regardless, the white from the switch goes to the rectifier by the looks, & then the switch when turned to lights possibly brings in a different wire from the mag to join to the white to keep the charge up. Oh i don't know. Ignore me haha. I do remember all those sort of mags had a double connector on the yellow so the green or green red could plug into it to give more charge to the battery during daytime running if the brake light & flashers were drawing too much for around town running with the piddly little battery they had.
13 Sep 2020 03:20 #16

• Murf
  • Murf's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Murf on topic RT1 wiring question.

Many thanks to you all and for the wiring diagrams. Here are some pictures of the loom ends (and the bike before I started). I have been trying to fathom out what goes where (hence the labels). Unfortunately the colours don't quite match the wiring diagram. The switch colours don't match either although it looks about right and the connector plug fits. I will post a picture of the switch and switch wiring later. I am thinking that the switch and loom might be from another model. Thanks for the CSMNL tip and I will make sure I get a decent shopping list together. I will check the brake shoes as well.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pete-RT1
Last edit: 14 Sep 2020 08:49 by Murf. Reason: Add content
14 Sep 2020 08:34 #17

If it's a genuine Yamaha harness/loom, then there is likely to be a part label taped onto it. That insulation tape looks in too good a condition to be the original! Saying that, if it is a repro, there might still be a label on it.
14 Sep 2020 09:59 #18

• Murf

Here are pictures of the switch and wiring, the colours don't match the harness so I have a bit of figuring out to do!
15 Sep 2020 03:26 #19

• Murf

Would anyone be able to confirm that their switch wiring is the same colours as mine please?
Also the harness did not have any labels and it was me that re-taped it as the old tape was falling apart.
Many thanks
16 Sep 2020 02:35 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart