facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

CT3 Blinker replacement

• Mitch_w
  • Mitch_w's Avatar Topic Author

CT3 Blinker replacement was created by Mitch_w

Hey all,

I have been running without turn signals for a while now, the same slow flash, low brightness problem many have had. I decided to swap out the flasher for a modern 3 prong and all the incandescent bulbs for LEDs using a write up I found here. One thing that I can't figure out, though, is how to get these damn bulbs out!

Twisting, pulling, and pushing from the back side is not working, and short of taking a vice grips to it, I'm not sure where to go from here. Anyone ran into this issue before?

imgur.com/a/T2EXWX6
27 Apr 2024 14:06 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Ht1kid on topic CT3 Blinker replacement

If it’s corroded you could use penetrating oil and push and twist I think CCW and clean the sides and contacts if you have Caig Deoxit. To clean the contacts 
27 Apr 2024 15:07 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic CT3 Blinker replacement

Wear leather gloves or take precautions with a rag etc & you'll need to compress before turning left then up & out.
Yep they rust in there over the years of dampness.
27 Apr 2024 16:22 #3

• Mitch_w

Replied by Mitch_w on topic CT3 Blinker replacement

Well, my front left bulb holder seems like it is completely corroded. Nothing worked to get the incandescent out, I even broke the bulb and took a pliers to it but no go. I doubt that if I got it out a new bulb would work in it.

I am now in the market for a part that I can't seem to find anywhere, or even find a part number for, I only seem to be able to find full flasher units. Is there an aftermarket solution for this part? I know the OE part only has one wire coming from it, but some possible replacements I've seen have multiple wires.
30 Apr 2024 18:26 #4

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic CT3 Blinker replacement

Hopefully someone in the US will have in their stash of spares a good inner fitment from a blinker with a damaged body. There were at least three styles of bulb holder, but all fit and work perfectly ok. 

The replacements with two wires will likely be plastic bodied, or the bulb holder will be isolated from the outer body, but no problem using one of those - just make up a pigtail to attach the earth wire to the frame. Original indicators either earthed directly to the frame or, if they were rubber mounted, had a pigtail that went from the indicator mounting stud to an earth in the main harness.
Last edit: 01 May 2024 01:37 by Gr8uncleal.
01 May 2024 01:35 #5

• Mitch_w

Replied by Mitch_w on topic CT3 Blinker replacement

Got this solved, just noting down for others who may have the same problem and search it 5 years from now. 

I did some digging and the best turn signal/blinker bulb socket replacement I could find was this:  a.co/d/aUIIV3H  
It’s a single wire socket with slotted mounting flanges. Have not received the part yet, so don’t know exact fitment but it looks like it should work. 

If that specific one isn’t available, the best search to get you where you want to go is “1156 bayonet socket” where 1156 is the bulb type, and bayonet sockets are the generic non-plastic type I’m looking for. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
03 May 2024 09:27 #6

Replied by MarkT on topic CT3 Blinker replacement

Post if it doesn't work.  I was going to look through my old electrical spare parts box this weekend to see if I might have the guts from one of those lights.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
03 May 2024 11:01 #7

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart