facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: clutch actuator)

• asco
25 Apr 2018 14:18
Replied by asco on topic 1971 CT1 Gorman Special "Brandy"
A little bit more of an explanation of what occurred earlier today. The first cover came off the ignition side obviously extremely easy. Took out the remaining screws and it just wouldn't move. Nothing would move. I backed off the clutch adjustment 10 mm nut, it was completely frozen. Got out the WD-40 started spraying everything and finally after about 30 minutes the clutch actuator screw was moving again. I was able to get a kickstart shaft wedged in against the counter shaft sprocket I am tapped on the shifter shaft, and adjacent areas for quite some time before it came loose. I was saying this is not my day. But I was wrong.

a
  • darinm
09 Mar 2018 14:35
Replied by darinm on topic Just Pics.

Plates came in the mail today, allowing for an outing on the '72 DT2 disguised as a '68, unfortunately to be cut short by the infamous clutch actuator worm gear failure.
  • Dave The Wave
11 Jan 2018 11:37
Replied by Dave The Wave on topic Broken Clutch Push Lever Assy
My order for a new one has been placed and confirmed. Just to think - yesterday morning I knew nothing about these actuators. Thanks everyone.
  • Dave The Wave
11 Jan 2018 11:11

AHAH!!! That explains it. Also shoots holes in my theory. (At least I have a good imagination.) 1971DT250 - You're my hero! Thanks! ..... By the way, yesterday you asked how my shift lever and splines were. Finally I have something to be proud of. My spline looks great and here's my shift lever:

If my shift lever looked any better it would be illegal to own it.
  • 1971DT250
11 Jan 2018 10:40 - 11 Jan 2018 10:43
Replied by 1971DT250 on topic Broken Clutch Push Lever Assy
There is a ball bearing that is held captive in the actuator plus the ball bearing inside the engine.

A new actuator will have a new ball bearing inside but not the screw and nut.
  • Dave The Wave
11 Jan 2018 08:50
I went out this morning to disassemble the actuator to see what kind of condition the screw and nut were in. Upon removing them I discovered what looked like a ball-bearing in the actuator. Check out this picture:

The ball-bearing moved easily back and forth in the actuator. However, I don't believe it belongs there. In a recent comment from 1971DT250 he talks about a ball-bearing that belongs on the far side of the clutch rod and has a tendency to roll out. I took a punch and tapped it lightly and the ball-bearing came right out. See picture #2

I have a feeling that it may have rolled out when my brother wasn't looking and when he came across it he looked around and decided it must have come out of the actuator and inserted it "back" (in his mind). I just need to know for sure that a ball-bearing does not belong in the actuator.

The screw and nut are pristine so I plan to reuse them. I have decided to get the after-market replacement recommended by Enduronut and 1971DT250
  • asco
11 Jan 2018 07:18 - 11 Jan 2018 07:18
Replied by asco on topic Broken Clutch Push Lever Assy

Hammer, I also hear that voice often as well.

One of the things that makes that side cover "so expensive in some peoples eyes" is the obsolete part of the actuator. In your case I would suggest finding a suitable generic aftermarket replacement and try that first. This has been discussed..

That motorcycle is "a wonderful tribute to your brother, and honestly I feel he is with you every step of the way!"

asco
  • MarkT
11 Jan 2018 04:26
Replied by MarkT on topic Broken Clutch Push Lever Assy
A short time ago the actuator you have was made of "almost unobtainium" and a NOS or very good one often sold for hundreds of dollars.

Yamaha R5 was the precursor to the Yamaha RD350... Several have adapted the R5/RD350/RD400 actuator assembly (Some of the Yamaha XS models also use the same actuator) to fit the DT/RT cover... requires minor machining to make it fit your bike.

Here is a link to a new reproduction RD/XS actuator: www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-clutch-push...0-0-91401-10010.html

The main difference between the two is the DT/RT type has a plastic worm gear in a metal guide and the RD/XS type has a metal worm gear in a plastic guide which seems to be stronger... and of course the price... although the "price gap" has narrowed significantly now that DT/RT reproductions are being made.

Search "clutch actuator" and you'll find dozens of posts on the topic.

:Buds
  • 1971DT250
10 Jan 2018 14:14
Replied by 1971DT250 on topic Broken Clutch Push Lever Assy
I replace the screw and nut when replacing the actuator. They are usually rusted and damaged from previous owners trying to adjust them. Also replace the push rod seal (93109-07009) while you are in there. The ball that is inside the engine can roll out while you are not looking (item #13 in the parts diagram 93505-16006-00) with the push rod and seal removed.

To adjust: Loosen the cable adjuster on the perch. Loosen the nut on the actuator. Turn the screw so that there is no play in the screw and back it out 1/8 of a turn. Hold the screw with a screwdriver (JIS from Vessel). Tighten the nut. Then adjust the cable.

If too much tension is on the adjuster or cable the clutch will slip especially at speed or under hard acceleration.

And while you're in there, how are the clutch plates? and clutch basket? and gear shift lever and shaft splines? and ..........
  • Dave The Wave
10 Jan 2018 12:32 - 10 Jan 2018 12:37

Rendering Error in layout Search/Results/Row: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=192323363485&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.
Displaying 251 - 260 out of 275 results.