facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Clutch Push Screw (disassemble from arm)

02 Feb 2019 15:49
Schu
Collector
Collector
More
Topic Author
Clutch Push Screw (disassemble from arm) #1
I had a cracked plastic push screw on my JT and replaced it today finding it relatively easy using bits and pieces from the junk drawers. If you've ever done this then the photos will probably makes sense. If not, well you may find it helpful once you have parts in hand. I used a good part from my other JT to ensure I put it back together correctly.
I basically made a puller or separator tool using a long screw that matched the threads inside the push screw boss. Once assembled I simply tightened the tool and the swaged end of the push screw boss pulled out of the pivot arm nice and clean. I used a spark plug socket that was large enough to swallow the plastic screw and black rubber seal. I modified a large washer making it a U shape with an ID matching the black rubber diameter. I slipped that washer around the the black rubber and as you tighten the tool it seats against the pivot arm and allows the force to separate the arm from the boss. I worked great.

Schu

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950

"Someday, you'll own some Yamahas"

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Feb 2019 16:04 02 Feb 2019 16:06 by Schu.
Schu
Collector
Collector
More
Topic Author
Clutch Push Screw (disassemble from arm) #2
Once I had the push screw off the pivot arm I then made a similar tool for removing the black rubber ring that I wanted to use again with the new push screw. I found a washer that had an ID just large enough for the push screw boss to fit thru but not large enough for the black rubber ring. I used the same screw from the other tool and found a socket that was large enough to swallow the push screw boss. I used a few properly sized washers behind the socket. As you tighten the screw the tool pulls the black rubber ring and the plastic screw off the boss nice and clean.

Schu

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950

02 Feb 2019 16:21 02 Feb 2019 16:30 by Schu.
Schu
Collector
Collector
More
Topic Author
Clutch Push Screw (disassemble from arm) #3
Now it was time to put the new push screw back together with the black rubber ring and attach it to the pivot arm. Again I used the same screw and some appropriate size washers along with an automotive brake caliper sleeve as a tubing spacer. I used a small washer under the white plastic screw making sure it was small enough to only seat on the metal boss and NOT on the plastic screw. Then I tightened it all up and clamped it in the vice with the jaws only touching the caliper sleeve, staying clear of the plastic screw. I put a steel block under the screw head to withstand the hammer blows. I inserted the steel ball back inside the screw boss and peened the push screw back onto the pivot arm. I had to treat myself to a new ball peen hammer that was small enough to peen the outer edges of the screw boss. Make sure you have the offset arm and the screw spirals in the correct position. I had a good part from my other JT to use as a guide. Taking photos before disassembly would work as well.

Schu

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950

The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, Dfeustel, Surflyer

24 Mar 2020 22:49
Surflyer
More
Clutch Push Screw (disassemble from arm) #4
Thank you very much for a wonderfully clear method of repair with no special tools!
I was completely stumped as to how to go about this.

One matter: As I understand it and as per yamaha parts diagrams the steel ball goes onto the other end of the push rod not into the push screw.
Any comments?
Thanks
Roger

25 Mar 2020 01:25
Surflyer
More
Clutch Push Screw (disassemble from arm) #5
I have just realised I am talking about a AT1 125 which has similar setup to your JT but perhaps the location of the ball is different and that probably explains the comment.

Also on the AT1 it appears the lever/push screw peening exercise has to be done with the assembly in place in the side cover as one cant fully unscrew the push screw/lever assembly once in because the side cover has an internal web that gets in the way.
Poor design IMHO unless I am misunderstanding something....

25 Mar 2020 02:43
Surflyer
More
Clutch Push Screw (disassemble from arm) #6
All sorted. (previous owner had a makeshift arrangement)

By the way its metal push screw upon metal side cover. No plastic involved.
The following user(s) Liked this Post Schu

Moderators: yamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieMini Enduro ManDevinJames Hart