facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Removing overspray and/or painted sprayed on decals

• loner
  • loner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
With all of the knowledge on this forum, this may be redundant, anyway I'll post anyway.

The guy I bought the 1978 DT125 from (or previous owner) spray painted the bike frame. He painted most of the decal on the mono shock. I had to remove paint from a stock trailer that I had tried to touch-up paint. even though I bought the touch-up paint from the trailer mfg (year model and VIN# to get the right color), the paint didn't even come close to matching.

I read lip on removing tagging from automotive paint and used this method to remove paint.

Take 91% isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber towel. Using one layer of the towel and one finger tip, spray the alcohol on the tip of your finger where it covered by one layer of the towel. Immediately start rubbing the paint or overspray with medium pressure. As the towel gets "dirty" from the paint, move your finger to a clean area of the towel, you should see results.

It takes a lot of "elbow" grease and some time, but it should come off without removing the printing from the decal.

It is not supposed to remove paint covered by any clear coat, although I would try it in an inconspicuous area first. I'm not sure how it works on lacquer.

I still have some time to spend removing the rest from the mono shock decal. Will take mid way and finished project pictures and include on a later post.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
06 Jan 2022 14:18 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Let us know how it comes out! 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
06 Jan 2022 14:37 #2

• loner
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
So far it is working pretty good, label looks almost new. Gonna take some time though!
06 Jan 2022 14:40 #3

before and after using Acetone. Definitely will eat away decals but the original paint seemed to be ok. I expect it will destroy any aftermarket paint as well.   

The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB
06 Jan 2022 15:08 #4

This message has attachments images.

• loner
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Well it worked great! Not as corrosive as acetone. Did have to spray the alcohol on and kind of scratch at it lightly with my fingernail, but worked great. I am now going to attempt to add pictures.    
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, JimA, Pedalcrazy, adguy2112
09 Jan 2022 14:45 #5

This message has attachments images.

• loner
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Don't know what happened with the first photo duplicate. Loose nut behind the keyboard.
09 Jan 2022 14:47 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart