facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

New DT1 project

• adguy2112
  • adguy2112's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

New DT1 project was created by adguy2112

Just picked up a’69 DT1 for my next project. The P.O. rough shot spray painted gold color on everything (tank, frame, fenders, engine).itll be a big cleanup job but the bike is mostly all there and they claim it runs. I kicked it and it does seem to have good compression. Blinkers in a box too! Tank is dent free and like new inside. Clearly, I struck gold with this bike...literally!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Badger52, Sneezles61
Last edit: 07 Nov 2021 12:30 by Enduronut.
24 Oct 2021 21:03 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adguy2112
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by adguy2112 on topic New DT1 project

Correction...it’s a 1970. Brilliant red under the gold gave it away so checked the vin. Definitely a 1970!
25 Oct 2021 08:01 #2

Replied by shyted on topic New DT1 project

Nice one, although it kind of looks like a Christmas decoration in that format in the pic.
25 Oct 2021 08:22 #3

• adguy2112
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Got most of the gold paint off, cleaned the carb and stator assy I have spark but it’s missing the banjo bolt on the carb so can’t see if it runs until the part arrives. PO cut all the lighting wires off at the battery box so I solder spliced in color correct wires in preparation to put the tail light back together. Cleaned and repainted the jug. Ordered new seat, key switch, air filter and carb tube, brake handles, exhaust silencer and tip and a bunch of grommets. Damn the bike is dirty. A bit concerned because the was no air filter. Hopefully the PO wasn’t operating it that way. We’ll see soon.  
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun, Steve F, type one, Swoop56, Quartermaster35, Pete-RT1, Sneezles61
30 Oct 2021 23:37 #4

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by type one on topic New DT1 project

This image is hidden for guests.

That looks so much better ….
DT1's mainly -
x4 1968 US (survivor, shiny resto, MX frame mods & early project)
1968 AUS
1969 Early B front yard ripper
1969 B scabby track bike
1969 B MX project
73 CT3 project
'77 z750 hard tail chop ......
BMW GSA 2018
31 Oct 2021 00:05 #5

• adguy2112
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Finally got the beast started. Ran for a bit then died. Still had good spark. Second cleaning of carb ran much better the died again. Clogged petcock. Drained tank then cleaned petcock. Ran great the died again. Now no spark. Points had been clean but appeared to have been arcing. Cleaned them but no go and put in new set of points I have for when I start my 74 project. Still no spark.  Ordered Emgo coil plus new condenser and points. I have a question about the clutch hoping someone can answer. Seem like when I disengage the clutch it grabs very abruptly like a mustang horse that wants to bolt. I figure the fibers and steels are stuck together from sitting so long. I haven’t changed out the old oil yet for the initial phase of getting it running but I want to inspect the crank seals anyway so I’ll be taking it apart soon. Just wondering if my assessment is sound.  Here’s and updated pic. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Quartermaster35
Last edit: 07 Nov 2021 12:26 by Enduronut.
07 Nov 2021 11:00 #6

This message has attachments images.

Replied by RT325 on topic New DT1 project

You say 'disengage' but if you mean' engage' & it takes up abruptly then that's not normal. Or do you mean the clutch is fully stuck together & you pop it in gear & you're off, or stall. Whichever i think you'd better 'go in' especially as you need to do the crank seal. I must ask--why do you want to do the seal. I'd leave it be without good cause at this stage. Lookin good though.
07 Nov 2021 13:15 #7

• adguy2112
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

I get confused with engaged/disengaged. Maybe I have the terminology wrong. I mean when I let out the clutch it feels very abrupt as though there is no smooth grab. Like popping the clutch. Just wondering if that indicates fused disks. Good opportunity for me to better understand symptoms. I don’t think the Wet side crank seal Is necessarily leaking but thought if I have to open it up anyway I’d like to give it a visual inspection. No white smoke when running so it’s probably ok. 
07 Nov 2021 15:44 #8

Replied by RT325 on topic New DT1 project

Ok, plates won't be stuck together--not even one pair, or it'd be taking off 'bolting' as soon as put in gear. So hook it up a few gears or even top gear so its 'not going to get away on ya' & ride the clutch a bit with brake on to see how it goes. Just slip it a bit in other words but not until you see smoke!!--joking--if that doesn't help then 'go in'.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
07 Nov 2021 16:13 #9

Replied by msavitt on topic New DT1 project

beautiful bike adguy2112!
07 Nov 2021 17:54 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart