facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Surely there is an easier way to PM❓❓

• dwil4
  • dwil4's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
So when I try to send a private message I am asked to select that person from a list. So lets say the user name starts with an S , so then I have to scroll for 5 minutes to get to the S's. Then I dont see the user name but I notice some people are listed with their actuall name and the user name to the side. Now if I do not know this persons name then I would have to scroll through every name on our member list in order to try and find the person I want to PM. Exampke...I tried to PM DEET awhile back but DEET is not in the D's in alphabetical where it would normally be and I dont know his actual name so that means I would have had to scroll through the entire list until I saw his user name listed to the side of his actual name. That would definitely take awhile. Can anyone shed some light on this?
09 Apr 2020 07:05 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic Surely there is an easier way to PM❓❓

There's a whole thread on this... PM system is not the best design. Keep in mind that this site is free with very little advertising and was created and run as a "labor of love" by a few enthusiasts. (I'm not one of the founders). Great efforts have been made to keep this site from becoming one with pop ups all the time and ads everywhere you look. And without that advertising, there are bills to pay.

My guess is, especially with all the traffic these days, the expenses just to keep this site running are coming out of someone's pocket. Donations are accepted and appreciated. Look for the "donate" link when scrolling down or it can be found under the "market" section link at the top of most pages.

I'm not involved in the running of this site, but I imagine if donations were enough to cover operating costs and purchase better PM software it would be done... it might even be done "out of pocket" because that's the way the guys that started this place are... with all the members here using the site and downloading free manuals if everyone just donated $5 or $10 every once in a while I'm sure it would make a big difference.

Off my soapbox now... :whistle: Users have the ability to block PM's and it's possible DEET has done so. (I can't find him either, although my search is much faster than you describe) DEET includes his email in his posts and that's the best way to reach him. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
09 Apr 2020 07:48 #2

Replied by KennyV on topic Surely there is an easier way to PM❓❓

I've had simular problems. When I try to type someones name, it take a very, very long time, or I'm not allowed to finish typing name. If someone sends me a PM I can respond, no problem.
71 Z50 Minitrail
20 CB500X Halfrica Twin
21 CRF300l Rally
09 Apr 2020 07:51 #3

• dwil4
  • dwil4's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by dwil4 on topic Surely there is an easier way to PM❓❓

I wasnt whining and moaning or saying this site should do this or that I was just asking if I there was another way I didnt know of.. Thanks for replies
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
09 Apr 2020 08:01 #4

Replied by MarkT on topic Surely there is an easier way to PM❓❓

It's hard to convey "tone" in writing... in one of my trademark long-winded answers I was trying to explain that the current PM system isn't great and what possibly could be done about it... no offense was intended.

:Buds
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut, mdscott
09 Apr 2020 11:13 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart