facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

84' IT490 Resto-Mod Build Teaser. Fork upgrade and more

• Shane_IT175
  • Shane_IT175's Avatar Topic Author
Hi Guys,

Some of you may have seen my other write-up on how I updated the IT490 DG exhaust to use a modern O-ring Head pipe and FMF silencer. At some point I'll do a full build thread on how I achieved the following mods, but this is just a teaser as i'm excited with how things are turning out. There's not many vintage races where I live, the few we have are just grass tracks too. But we do have regular cross-country and ISDE events with modern bikes. I've always wanted to compete against the new bikes on Vintage Iron and so i'm building a contender. If I can place mid-pack this year in my Amateur class, I'll be pretty stoked, either way I think it will be a blast!

The base is an 84 IT490. Last year I rebuilt the motor, went through the rear linkage and swing arm and rebuilt the front end. This year I'm doing some upgrades to make it a bit better. Other than the exhaust stuff i've already covered, I have also fitted a Keihin PWK 38 Air Striker, Fitted the entire front end off of a DRZ400, Fitted wider foot pegs, and used the same 1/8" bar my 24' Husky TE300 uses. I've also fitted a Trailtech computer. I still need to build a bash plate and Racetech is building me a custom rear shock ( not rebuilding the old one, a completely new custom unit). 

I really excited for the front fork swap, it's gone together amazingly. The DRZ400 forks are probably the best conventional fork you can get. I wanted to stick with conventional for that retro look. 49mm fork tubes, compression and rebound adjust, disc front brake, and tons of parts availability. 

PWK carb is amazing, bike has never run better. Still perfecting jetting, but best upgrade!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I have size 14 feet, and the stock pegs could not keep my feet from sliding off.

One of my Tuning trips, dialing in jetting. This is before the fork conversion

Getting ready for the fork conversion. 

DRZ Installed and front end mocked up. Looks amazing! Nice beefy forks

I really love the bars on my 24' TE300 and decided to fit a pair to the 490. This will also aid in me switching between riding the two bikes.

Trail Tech Computer mocked up. This will tell my RPM, Cylinder head temp, speed, ambient temp, odometer, trip meter, time, and hours of runtime

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Snglsmkr, Ht1kid, LongStride, Sneezles61
13 Feb 2024 09:24 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's looking like a nice update to a classic machine!
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
13 Feb 2024 20:32 #2

You're having fun on several fronts!
14 Feb 2024 15:00 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart