facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Dt125c Turns wannabe AT1

• JayJay
  • JayJay's Avatar Topic Author

Dt125c Turns wannabe AT1 was created by JayJay

I never properly introduced myself. I am Jay Jay, short for Joshua James. I am 21 years of age and I don't think I could be truly be happy with out motorcycles. Specifically Vintage Motorcycles. My first experiences was when I was around 4 and my dad got a Honda CM400. I have always wanted a bike ever since.

I own two bikes currently a 79 suzuki GS550 and a 76 dt125 which is why I'm here. and I know that I've been asking more questions then sharing. So this is my attempt to do so.

This is pretty much how I got the bike minus it's seat that I took off to be recovered. it was all sticky black tape when I got it.

But today I got a tank for the bike along with alot of cleaning and small fixes (small fixes include freeing up the throttle, fixing the transmission gasket that was just put on wrong. the whole top of the gasket fell down when it was installed so water was getting in. some rust removal, and painting the exhaust.)

what do you think, a little AT1ish? I plan to pant it close to the original chappy red and make badges for the tank that say DT125. I think I wanna have it so it looks like a AT1 at first glance.

I may have the original ad picture of the bike. If I can find it I'll post it, if enough interest is shown.

All my following posts about the bike will be hear.

thank you all for looking and supporting me.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr, pabdt, meadeam, Super90, Don Dieago, LongStride
Last edit: 06 May 2019 20:09 by JayJay.
06 May 2019 20:03 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic Dt125c Turns wannabe AT1

You're quite a magician, getting that badge tank to sit on a 76 DT125, though the pipe makes it look more like a 74. What's the VIN? Have you checked it on the forum here?
06 May 2019 20:25 #2

• JayJay

Replied by JayJay on topic Dt125c Turns wannabe AT1

The tank actually was a perfect fit. all I need to do is weld a bolt tab on. the vin is 560-004761. The exhaust also has a vin starting with 560, but the last digits are different. I have checked it with the manual.
Last edit: 06 May 2019 20:57 by JayJay.
06 May 2019 20:39 #3

Replied by liferbiker on topic Dt125c Turns wannabe AT1

If your going for an AT1 look, you'll want it white like a 69 was! From experience white easy red tougher to paint. Cool project, have ya ran it yet?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev
06 May 2019 23:07 #4

• JayJay

I'm planing on using this thread to help me paint match
www.yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/...aint-matches?start=0

Yeah I have ran it, and I've laid her down taking a turn to fast. I don't have the shifter so I was going around in first gear.

I am currently working on the seat cover. Hopefully If it doesn't become a complete disaster I'll share some of my sewing skills.
07 May 2019 17:08 #5

• JayJay

This is me sewing the pleats into the seat cover. I'm using a back fabric with strips so I have a line to follow. I spaced my stitches 1 1/2 inches apart. This lead to my pleats being 1 1/5 inches. I put 16 pleats across the top of the seat.

This is the top view before I stuff the pleats with poly-fil

This is after I stuff them

from here I just made a nose and back pieces and sewed them on. But i don't have photos of that part.

Here is the seat on the bike

after doing this for my first time I would change how I did this. I have too may pleats across the top. I would take three or so out. I didn't realize how much it would stretch. which made the sides look odd, because the top was too long. so I plan to take it off for a second attempt. but for now this is how it'll stay. at least until i get it painted.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr, Super90, clives
09 May 2019 20:45 #6

This message has attachments images.

• JayJay

Does anyone know where I can find a decently priced Stator Cover for a DT125? Mine is missing and its really the last major piece to make my bike look complete.

Thanks for all the help.
17 May 2019 06:52 #7

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic Dt125c Turns wannabe AT1

Go here:
www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy...125c/crankcase-cover

Part #1:
www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/482-154...b5b4d19437704dcd4810

Part #2:
www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/316-154...b5b4d19437704dcd4810

Partzilla says they are the same for 72 AT/CT, 73 AT/CT, and 74, 75, 76 DT125

Enter the part numbers into the search box to draw up what's available on eBay
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayJay
Last edit: 17 May 2019 15:55 by Mothersbaugh.
17 May 2019 15:54 #8

Replied by MarkT on topic Dt125c Turns wannabe AT1

I like what you're doing... I don't know that I have any side covers but I'll check tomorrow and let you know.

Do you need just the "outer" cover or both? Can you post a picture of the cover you have please?
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayJay
17 May 2019 18:19 #9

• JayJay

I just need the outer cover. I wish I had a better picture, this is all i have right now. But as you can see in the darkness of this picture I have the Inner cover. It is only held on with one bolt and a bunch of washers. which is how I got the bike.

Thank you MarkT for helping. It is greatly appreciated.

If you have any ideas on what I should do to the bike, I'm happy to consider. From the previous pictures you can see I don't have a front fender. I have a sportster fender though I was thinking about modifying to fit. I've seen some AT1s with a high steal fender I was thinking about replicating with this sportster fender. How original are the high fenders on the AT1s? was that an option from factory or something aftermarket?
18 May 2019 23:27 #10

This message has an attachment image.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart