facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

any tricks for getting sliders out of the fork legs on a DT175B?

• LauraM
  • LauraM's Avatar Topic Author
:Arrrgh! I'm trying to disassemble an extra set of forks from a DT175B, to use the fork sliders on them in place of the rust-pitted stock ones on my 175. So, using a vise, when I try to remove the allen bolt from the bottom of the leg, it won't come all the way out and just keeps turning. That is with the fork cap/spring still in place to hold some traction, as recommended in the shop manual. I've tried the other one by first removing the fork cap and spring, but the same thing happens of course. Any tricks for getting the allen bolt out and then the sliders to come free?

Thanks,

Laura
18 Feb 2017 18:39 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I use a air impact driver to remove those allen bolts.

Control your thoughts . . . or your thoughts will control you!.!
Don't aim . . . and you'll hit your target every time!
A wise man knows . . . he isn't!
Failure squared . . . equals success!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: LauraM
18 Feb 2017 19:47 #2

Electric impact works too. I keep the spring and cap in place and try to collapse the fork as I zap the allen loose with the impact.

Works 98% of the time.

Occasionally, I've had to make a tool to hold the damper rod from spinning. Often an old broomstick tapered down and hammered into the damper rod works. (Of course the spring is removed for this)

Or on some models the damper rod has a slot in it that a VERY, very large and long flat blade screwdriver will fit... I don't have a screwdriver that large so I've made a tool with a piece of flat steel bar stock ground to width and hammered into a socket... makes like a large flat blade screwdriver... then with an extension and ratchet you can hold the damper rod from spinning.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut, LauraM
18 Feb 2017 20:29 #3

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Wrote a story then lost it, guts was i have yamaha tools for that purpose & will take a pic, but just cheated & google imaged something similar & there are other shapes too. most common one i used was the sharp tapered tool on a long T bar & fitted most dampers. Just a tap with a hammer to lock it in then away ya go. Slider is actualy the lower bit & the tube [rusty bit] is the stanchion but no worries, fork tube--that sounds easier than stanchion. The important bit is to get that damn allen screw out. Probably been locktited in previously. You might be lucky to preload the spring as much as you can & still get the cap back on then get it to hold. Good luck as i know it's a pain when things like that happen.

19 Feb 2017 00:29 #4

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

What they said, plus for the fork where you already have the cap and spring removed, you can try putting the upper in a vise (wrapped in an old inner tube of course) and pulling the upper and lower tubes apart as you hit the allen bolt with an electric (or pneumatic) impact. The rebound spring shown in RT's last picture will provide some friction. I've also had this works about 98% of the time.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right"
- Henry Ford
Or in the words of Yoda... "Do or do not. There is no try"

"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet"
- Abraham Lincoln
19 Feb 2017 06:22 #5

• LauraM
  • LauraM's Avatar Topic Author
I appreciate the tips! I was afraid to try to force the upper (stanchions... I knew that term from way back when, but didn't remember it until I saw it here) and lower tubes apart, but will give that a shot with the air or electric impact wrench on the allen. And if that doesn't work, I will proceed with the other ideas. At least this is just the extra set of forks, and I can still ride the DT175 while I work on this as I have time. And when I do remove the forks on the bike and work on them, things should go much more smoothly after this.
19 Feb 2017 15:56 #6

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I hadn't seen that topping out spring in the pic. Not sure if it's DT175, was just a random image. Be good if it works though as i agree it might 'just' tip the balance & hold it enough with a rattle gun spinning it. They can be a real pain sometimes.
19 Feb 2017 16:36 #7

i just ran into this last week. with the spring out you can look in the fork and see the piece the allen bolt screws into. i smashed the end of elect. conduit flat, ground the edges so not too wide and slipped it in the fork tube and wedged it so the attachment wouldn't turn.worked great.
a borescope in there gives you an idea of how your new ''tool'' should be shaped.
funny, i posted your same question a few weeks ago and didn't get any responses.
bob noffs
19 Feb 2017 18:38 #8

After a lot of mucking around I got one loose. Yes still locktite in there.
With the knowledge I have now I should be able to do the other more easier.
One thing I did also was rinsing out all the oil residue to create more friction when pushing in the rod that isn't supposed to spin when loosened.

Included is a picture of what to expect, so one can make their own tool.  
20 Apr 2023 03:21 #9

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Ahhh, ok... on that type I made a tool a long time ago.

What I've found works excellent is a "Gator Grip" socket... the kind that has a bunch of spring-loaded pins and fits over pretty much any oddball shape. Home Depot, Lowes, many auto parts stores carry them.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: SKYDANCER46, Ht1kid, Pedalcrazy, Dragonfly
20 Apr 2023 07:04 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart