facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Rex's Speed Shop / 12V conversion for my '74 DT360A

• msavitt
  • msavitt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
I am strongly considering upgrading to 12V and ditching the existing CD ignition because I strongly believe that it is causing some weirdness that I cannot tune out with a clean carb.

Has anyone had experience with Rex's Speed Shop kit RMK-8-12V? Specifically value for the money, quality, responsiveness of the Rex team? Or is there a better option?

Also, does anyone have spec for a direct replacement 12V headlamp and battery that will fit my stock 1974 DT360A?

thanks,
Martin
03 Nov 2020 15:15 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

i think Rex does everything you need. I know he sells a 12 V headlamp kit and i may be wrong about this one but i'm sure it's his kit that's battery less.
I spoke to him on the phone about it.
Give him a call or drop him an e mail.
03 Nov 2020 15:27 #2

Not a chance would I consider that. Had a customer call with a Power Dynamo, DT1 told him I wouldn't touch the bike unless he converted back to points.

Rex has the worst customer service -

It's DEET ( YAMAHA ENDURO or go elsewhere...

asco
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
03 Nov 2020 15:35 #3

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
so if Rex is poor service, who would you recommend?
03 Nov 2020 15:55 #4

Some folks were satisfied with them and some folks got stuck.

It seems that if it doesn't work, you will be on your own.

From what I have seen posted here, It's never their fault.... it's always yours.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
03 Nov 2020 16:02 #5

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
yes, I hear you re Rex, thank you
do you know of a supplier that has a good reputation?
03 Nov 2020 16:07 #6

Having worked with Powerdynamo equipment before, and seeing customer service help comments from users on this site about Rex's stuff (which I have no experience with), I'm leaning towards Powerdynamo. Unless you are a whiz with timing setup & flywheel pulling, spend the extra dough and have them key the flywheel. It's just easier, if you don't want to invest in the tooling to properly set the timing. The PD setup is slick, and you don't need an engineering degree to follow their setup to get spark and ride.

Now, like I said I have no experience with Rex's EI, and I'm sure it's fine, but it sounds like you need to have a fair bit of know-how to install it, and work through their instructional setup.
Allrighty Then
03 Nov 2020 17:05 #7

Like Apex said, I don’t have experience with Rex either, but I do with Vape/PowerDynamo. I’ve installed on two bikes, DT360 and a Bultaco, easy to install and great performance.
:Throttle
Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
04 Nov 2020 07:29 #8

Not sure what your weirdness you have but my experience with the 360's and 400's that use that CDI and pulser is that if the pulser is flakey it's flakey and no amount of hoping will make it better. If you get a good one and keep it clean and dry it will work well. I have been doing these for over 10 years and that has been my experience. And now you can get 6 volt LED headlights and low cost 6 voltage regulators all is good.
Doug
04 Nov 2020 08:56 #9

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Hi run103, thanks for your note please allow me to elaborate.
the bike runs terrific, the only flakiness is when I am cruising at medium RPMs at a steady speed that has me neither accelerating or decelerating....several have referred to this as "four-stroking". My engine has no air leaks and the carb is clean as a whistle and reacts nicely to any adjustments so I have ruled out any air leak or carb issue. I can tune some of this flakiness away by dropping the needle a groove, but it is still "there". So my thought is that perhaps the ignition (static timing properly set) is somehow contributing to this.

I would love to keep everything stock, just hate the surging at the particular condition that mention above
Last edit: 04 Nov 2020 11:35 by msavitt. Reason: clarifying "leak" as "air leak"
04 Nov 2020 11:34 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart