facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Headlamp bulb. Electrical question

• isetta
  • isetta's Avatar Topic Author

Headlamp bulb. Electrical question was created by isetta

1974 DT250B. If the headlamp bulb is 35w/35w and blows occasionally, will it be less likely to blow if I fit a 45/45w bulb ? (I am working on basis it blows due to volts and not something else like shock / vibration)
(in case people reading this do not know, the headlamp on these bikes runs on AC current not DC and the headlamp will only show light when the engine is running).
I assume that the higher wattage bulb will bring the voltage down a bit, but will give a dimmer light at low engine RPM. Does that sound right?
But will the higher wattage bulb potentially overload the lighting coil and potentially damage the lighting coil?
Thoughts please
11 Oct 2020 12:58 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Headlamp bulb. Electrical question

For that to happen "blowing", is your battery not in the circuit. I used to run 12 volt in my open circuit old RT1 ride to work bike with an XJ650 headlight that had replaceable bulbs down this side of the world. Just about melted the roadway & never blew. But of course it was dull at low revs around town. That was a lifetime ago & probably get hand smacked for doing something like that these days.
What you need--really really need--"spice girls song--umm", is a single wire 6 volt ac regulator to stop the overvoltage. You'r theory is quite right though, if you can get 45/45. Higher wattage & weaker lights. Battery balances out the system taking some of the ac to dc to charge battery. If ya not running a battery & just a simple lighting system then you 'could' try running the lights off one of the lower output wires from the lighting coils. Probably have about 3 to choose from. If i'm talking rubbish someone will correct me lol. Just thinking--recently i cranked up dads old AT1, which is a magneto AT1 in NZ not electric start DC. & damn it i turned the lights on & blew everything with a rev. P--sd me off coz i should know better. So tipped all my bulbs out & found some then shuffled the wiring under the tank where the mag loom is & swapped yellow for something--green i think & is good & safe now with no battery. I'll fit a regulator oneday & go back to yellow. Hope ya get it sorted.
11 Oct 2020 14:22 #2

Replied by DEET on topic Headlamp bulb. Electrical question

I recommend installing a regulator.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: DVM, RT325
11 Oct 2020 16:00 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic Headlamp bulb. Electrical question

That was easy DEET. Why couldn't i just say that haha.
11 Oct 2020 18:32 #4

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Headlamp bulb. Electrical question

+1

Alternatively, I have read on this forum that some folks have had success by fitting a 12v headlight bulb.
12 Oct 2020 00:39 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart