facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Dt360a right crankcase cover stuck and removing steering lock

• treeves
  • treeves's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
I have my bike stripped and am taking to have the frame and swing arm powder coated. I have taken the steering lock cover off, I do have the key but have been unable to get the lock to come out. Would there be a trick to getting it out?
I need to take the right crankcase cover off. I have taken all the screws out of the cover but have left the oil pump on. I have been hitting the cover with a rubber mallet, I have hit a piece of wood held to the piece of cover behind the oil stick. What else should I try?
The engine is on my table and the cover has never been off. I need to replace the decompression cable.
16 Apr 2020 10:11 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I have never disassembled the steering lock, so I can't help you there.
But I have struggled with the right side case being stuck on the two hollow dowel pins. Try having someone tap with the rubber mallet while you do your best to grab and pull the cover outward off the crankcase. It's going to be difficult to excert any force since the motor is out of the frame and is loose on a table. Wiggle it as you pull because it will wedge itself on the dowels if one side separates more than the other side. Once I got a gap in the joint I was able to find insert a plastic scraper to use as a wedge and was able to gradually work my way around increasing the gap a little at time until I got it off the dowel pins. Be careful what you wedge in the gap so that you don't damaged the sealing surface.
Good Luck!
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
Last edit: 16 Apr 2020 10:35 by Schu.
16 Apr 2020 10:34 #2

I don't recall the specifics of the DT360, but on some models there are screws that are easy to miss like the one near the oil pump on the 125/175... or hiding around the kick starter area... make sure you have all the screws out. It's easy to miss one sometimes.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB, Schu
16 Apr 2020 11:01 #3

I use something like a tire iron or flat steel stock on that square spot behind the dipstick. I use a single jack ( one handed sledge hammer ). Sometimes it takes a couple blows . Your gonna need it on the floor and try and hold it with a foot or get some help. They do take some force especially if there is some gasket sealer or have never been off. Just get a gap then I use a stiff putty knife and work around the cover to square it up.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
16 Apr 2020 18:29 #4

• treeves
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies I could wait till I put the motor back in frame or ask a friend for help. I have checked the motor for anymore screws, there are two screws that attach the oil pump to the cover. The tech manual says you do not have to remove the oil pump to take the cover off, so I assume those screws mount to just the cover.
16 Apr 2020 19:00 #5

Regarding the powder coating, make sure that all threaded areas (internal and external) and areas that take a tight fitting part (eg races for steering and swinging arm bushes) are masked off. Also be aware that you'll need to rub off any plastic coating that covers an earthing point on the frame.

I'm working on a RD125 project that a previous owner had plastic coated and none of the above were done..........:EEEK
17 Apr 2020 00:09 #6

• treeves
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
I finally got the lock out of the steering head, There was a piece of the lock broke not sure if I did it or if that was the problem. I will talk to the people that are doing the powder coat and make sure they plug screw holes and bearing areas. I still have not got the right crankcase cover off but looks like it is going to take more muscle than I have been using,
17 Apr 2020 10:28 #7

Try squirting this in the holes where the hollow dowel pins are.

If nothing else, it's a good conversation starter to break the ice.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: mdscott
17 Apr 2020 14:03 #8

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

:ROFLOL :ROFLOL :ROFLOL
I already saved the image for future use!
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
17 Apr 2020 14:35 #9

• treeves
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
I finally got the cover off. I think the problem was it was moving when I was hitting it, so I strapped it to my table and used a piece of 1/2 inch PVC and hit it with a one arm sledge hammer took about three licks but that did it. Thanks to everybody that gave me advice.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: mdscott, Snglsmkr
17 Apr 2020 15:51 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart