facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Replacing silencer/muffler ideas?

• Eazy-X
  • Eazy-X's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replacing silencer/muffler ideas? was created by Eazy-X

Wow! You guys are super helpful :) May I trouble you again?

The expansion chamber/downpipe/exhaust/whatever - the first, big bit - is fine on my bike (surface rust, nothing that a good clean couldn't sort out) but the silencer/muffler bit is in a much worse state:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Note the circled parts :( Question is: should I try and restore this, e.g. weld some threads on, drill and tap, etc. given that this is just a cylinder full of rust & dust - one that is not particularly good at lowering the decibels.

I'm considering making something to allow the use of a generic silencer. If I do that I could either:
  1. Make an entirely new "link" pipe
  2. Recycle the old pipe by cutting off the chamber

For the first option the question would be how to seal the pipe. Recreate the indent for the O-ring? Seal with exhaust cement? For the second option it feels like sacrilege but for the fact the existing part is in a poor state.

I would welcome any comments :D
28 Jan 2020 04:39 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Replacing silencer/muffler ideas?

Afternoon!

Is what Yamaha call the "Pipe, Outlet" present? Part number 438-14752. If not, that might explain the lack of silencing.

If it's not and you're prepared to fork out 60 or 70 quid for a new one (CMSNL have them in stock), then I'd probably try and drill some new holes and tap new threads. Saying that, knowing how limited my competence is in that sphere, I might get a mate to do it!
28 Jan 2020 06:42 #2

• Eazy-X
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Eazy-X on topic Replacing silencer/muffler ideas?

No "Pipe Outlet" on this one, it's European. The only way inside to renew any baffle material (if, in fact, there was any to start with!) would be to cut it open and then re-weld :(
28 Jan 2020 08:05 #3

Replied by nhsteve on topic Replacing silencer/muffler ideas?

Soo... that looks like the muffler/spark arrestor from maybe a DT250/360/400 to me. On the units similar (in appearance anyway) to the ones this side of the pond, the rear has a removable end (held on by 6mm fastener), which I don't see from the angle of your photo. Are you condemning the unit because 1.) you feel the "guts" inside are deteriorated so badly as to render the unit unusable, or 2.) the 6mm studs are broken off from the standoffs?

If the first is correct, then a replacement may be what you are faced with, but in that case certainly do not toss the old one just yet, as that inlet end with the groove for the O-ring and the bend, may prove to be very valuable at that point.

If it is the second case, then anyone with a TIG welder should be able to quick weld a bit of 6mm thread onto the end of those. (cut the head off a bolt maybe, to get the threaded portion) Alternately, how steady is your drilling hand, or do you have a drill press? Maybe drill (carefully) into the standoff sections, and thread the remaining standoff for a 6mm bolt. 2 hex head 6mm bolts with washers should hold the muffler in place as well as the original acorn headed nuts.

Worth a thought?:Buds
15 Feb 2020 15:49 #4

Replied by nhsteve on topic Replacing silencer/muffler ideas?

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=123799920242&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by Jpman on topic Replacing silencer/muffler ideas?

When I got my 78 dt250 that whole assembly was missing. I had a friend with a pipe bender make the intermediate pipe and fit an old repackable Casler silencer to it. I have a Skyway silencer also but it was way too loud.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2020 10:41 by Jpman. Reason: Damn spell check
16 Feb 2020 09:24 #6

Replied by MarkT on topic Replacing silencer/muffler ideas?

I'm not sure the US model insert would work... USA required USFS approved spark arrestor which is why there is a "clean out". It's one of the spark arrestor requirements. I don't think bikes in other countries had the spark arrestor in the muffler.

It might just be cheaper to buy a new OEM muffler if available from CMSNL as suggested... or if you want to go aftermarket I'd definitely cut off the stock pipe and use it to adapt a different muffler. That era had a very nice machined oring adapter that slides into a hole in the main pipe unlike the later models that had a more standard slip fit where one tube slides over the other with a rubber sleeve that clamped over the top to seal the joint.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
16 Feb 2020 09:40 #7

• Eazy-X
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Eazy-X on topic Replacing silencer/muffler ideas?

Whoops! Forgot this thread :(

A combination of things: threads sheared off, >30mins shaking metal flakes, rust and dust from the thing and, TBH this is a bit wrong, it's pig ugly :) The bike's been in pieces and various states of assembly for the last 3 months or so and the only negative comment I've had about it is "WTF is up with that exhaust?" And then I have to explain that's what they were like, back in the day.

So I went with Steve's suggestion and kept the bend:

The new one on the left may only be a ten eurodollarpound special but by total luck it's almost the same length and diameter as the original fat bit! The bolt-on end (silver bit in the bottom left) is also the exact same diameter as the original's "link pipe." Before anyone asks: I didn't weld the parts together as that's bright zinc plating :(

Anyhoo, I should have taken a proper photo but this'll have to do for now:

£10 on generic 60mm 2-stroke silencer, £7 on silicone join with clamps, £4 on generic exhaust strap (inc. rubber) 5 mins cutting the original exhaust, 5 mins to shorten the strap. Easy to fit, easy to replace, arguably better looking than the original :)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Super90
18 Feb 2020 07:45 #8

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart