facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1974 DT250 carb issues and questions. Maybe top end rebuild?

• frogvenom
  • frogvenom's Avatar Topic Author
Hello, me and my father have had this 1974 virginia gold dt250 for about 10 years now. its always ran like a dream (mostly)
recently, however, it seems we're having some carb issues. the bike starts right up but as soon as we try to rev it up, it completely bogs down and won't go past a certain rpm. We've tried pulling the carb and cleaning it up, even stick a guitar string through the jets, and still nothing. the carb in question has a 34 on the intake side i believe. I'm looking to buy another carb that might work better. included are the pics of my carb from the bike.

My second question is about rebuilding the top end. I think i'm capable of doing it (still pretty new) but I have no idea where to get the parts or a top end rebuild kit. Does anyone know of a place online? Thank you in advance and sorry if this has been posted a million times already.
23 Nov 2019 11:18 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Again speed and sport in PA has parts . And A brand new 34 can be had for about $116 , I ama Mikuni dealer . And check the O ring on the bottom of the needle jet , If its messed up it will runn waaaaty ! Rich bypassing the main jet .

Rich
racerclam
23 Nov 2019 11:50 #2

• frogvenom
  • frogvenom's Avatar Topic Author
thanks very much for this Rich, that website was exactly what I was looking for. How would I go about ordering that new mikuni 34 carb? I'd like to do that as soon as possible. I also need a new throttle cable
23 Nov 2019 12:08 #3

give me a call
racerclam
23 Nov 2019 12:48 #4

Your bike should have a 28mm carburetor, measure the carb inside diameter on the engine side, you can get a genuine mikuni vm28 for around $95 from multiple sources, Amazon and eBay both come to mind, just make sure you are getting a genuine mikuni as there are lots of $35 knock offs on the sites. I have a brand new mikuni vm28 if you are interested $85 shipped to your door in the U.S. you can PM me if you are interested.

I installed one on a 1976 DT250C although I had to add the oil injection nipple for mine, yours being a 1974 that is not a issue for you, the mikuni vm28 out of the box you need to install the correct main #140 and pilot jet #60 for your particular model if your old carb has the stock jets you can swap them from your old carb, just make sure the jets are genuine mikuni and not knock offs, also need to swap the fitting on the top cap the new carb comes with a straight one and your old one is a 45* fitting. Having said all that the old carbs are very reliable with a very good cleaning and rebuild using genuine Yamaha parts, the aftermarket kits are not as good as the genuine Yamaha parts.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: darinm
Last edit: 24 Nov 2019 06:14 by Lizeec.
24 Nov 2019 06:07 #5

I have a 73 DT3. I cleaned the carb multiple times, tried adjusting the needle, etc. with no real improvement. The last time I removed the carb for cleaning I saw a 32 on it...It had 160 main jet in it but was waaay too big for my bike. Another member here recently had similar issues and documented his new Mikuni carb change. So I got a 28 Mikuni with the adapter (they are spigot carbs) and it has a 150 main with a 50 idle jet. It runs great now. Dial up RacerClam and ditch the big carb.
24 Nov 2019 09:09 #6

hi there im rebuilding the same bike as frogvenom i need a carb for 74 dt 250 can i get your number
13 Dec 2019 23:16 #7

Hi, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. put "carb" in the subject line so it is easy to recognize.
17 Dec 2019 14:08 #8

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart