facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Exhaust Repair/Restoration

• Eazy-X
  • Eazy-X's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Exhaust Repair/Restoration was created by Eazy-X

Hi chaps,

I have this:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I've marked where the threads used to be that mount to the bracket. (This is for a DT175C BTW.) Obviously someone previously sheared off the bolt ends when dismantling the bike and I'm just wondering what the easiest way of fixing it might be.

I could flatten off the remnants, drill and tap threads and then attach to the bracket with bolts instead of nuts. Or maybe there's not enough metal there and instead just cut the posts off and replace them with long bolts.

The unit seems quite solid - just surface rust - but a massive amount of rust fell out of it when I gave it a shake. It's not one where the baffle unscrews so if I had to get to the internals I'd have to resort to an angle-grinder. Maybe an after market exhaust would be better? If anyone has any suggestions...
12 Oct 2019 12:43 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by rodent on topic Exhaust Repair/Restoration

I would heat and quench a couple of times, and then place a thin nut over the remaining thread and mig weld. They should come out easily.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 12 Oct 2019 15:22 by rodent.
12 Oct 2019 15:21 #2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart