facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

74 DT250 Voltage Regulator

• Yamalol
  • Yamalol's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

74 DT250 Voltage Regulator was created by Yamalol

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you actually connect the voltage regulator. I have a single-wire regulator, and see the wire I am supposed to connect it to, but how do I actually make the connection? Just make a cut in the wire, thread the end of the regulator through, then wrap it up? The one wire design is confusing me. If the end of the regulator is just inserted into a cut in the wire, wouldn't voltage just slip past it? I am sure this is a dumb question, but it haven't been able to find an exact explanation. Thanks everyone!
'74 DT250A, '74 DT250A (another one), ‘72 Honda XL250, ‘69 Honda SS125A, ‘88 KLR 650, '57 Harley Davidson Sportster, '46 Harley Davidson WL, '79 Harley Davidson Shovelhead.
17 Sep 2019 19:42 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic 74 DT250 Voltage Regulator

No such thing as a dumb question my friend. None of us knows everything and the worse thing you can do is not ask - Heaven knows, I've asked enough questions here! Mako has an expression for this, but I'm blowed if I can remember it!

Ideally you should get a supply of new male and female motorcycle bullet connectors, together with the clear protective covers that goes over each of them (long for female, short for male). DEET here on the forum supplies them, I believe, if you want to be sure of getting the correct items.

A wire stripper and crimper would be best for removing the necessary length of plastic cover off the wire that you are going to feed into and then connect the bullet connectors to. However, I have used scissors, a strong fingernail and pliers in the past!

In terms of practical demonstrations of how to attach the bullet connectors to the wire, demos on youtube are far better than anything that I can ramble on about here! Probably get yourself some old wire to practice on first if you can.

Finally, if you haven't seen it already, I am attaching Yamaha's own instructions on where to wire in the regulator.

Please note that you will need to find a location on your bike to attach the regulator to. I haven't done mine yet, but I shall make up a small bracket and put it under one of the bottom yoke (triple tree) clamp bolts. The nearer the headlight it is, the shorter the length of wire that you'll need.

Good luck, take your time and don't be worried about requesting any more help or info.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Yamalol
Last edit: 17 Sep 2019 23:48 by Gr8uncleal. Reason: More text.
17 Sep 2019 23:44 #2

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Yamalol
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Yamalol on topic 74 DT250 Voltage Regulator

Ah, ok that makes sense. Thank you so much, this is exactly the explanation I was looking for! I'm nearly done with my wiring, and this was the last piece of the puzzle.
'74 DT250A, '74 DT250A (another one), ‘72 Honda XL250, ‘69 Honda SS125A, ‘88 KLR 650, '57 Harley Davidson Sportster, '46 Harley Davidson WL, '79 Harley Davidson Shovelhead.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: observer
18 Sep 2019 19:30 #3

Replied by MarkT on topic 74 DT250 Voltage Regulator

Voltage in wires is similar to pressure in pipes. So think of the one-wire voltage regulator as a "pressure relief valve" that bleeds off the excess pressure (voltage) in the pipes (wires) and brings the pressure (voltage) in the system down to a safe level.

(Note that the metal housing of the regulator needs to be grounded for it to work.)
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: DVM, Gr8uncleal, Wessi, Yamalol
18 Sep 2019 20:00 #4

• Yamalol
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Yamalol on topic 74 DT250 Voltage Regulator

Thanks, that's a helpful metaphor. The electrical component is slowly seeming less daunting.
21 Sep 2019 14:55 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart