facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT250B and DT250MX ignition timing differences?

• Mr Vegetable Trousers
  • Mr Vegetable Trousers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

DT250B and DT250MX ignition timing differences? was created by Mr Vegetable Trousers

Hi everyone,
I have bought an electronic ignition for my 1976 DT250B. UK and Europe model.
With points ignition it was an easy starter but needed a bit more work to make it run just right. Also the standard charging system is pretty crude.
So I thought I would change to "fit and forget" electronic with a 12v conversion. Easier to get bulbs and a better charging system.
Anyway I fitted the new system and the bike was now tough to start. I got quite a few kick backs and then when test riding it its pretty clear the timing is "off" it just wont rev cleanly and I can hear it "pinking" under load.
Signs, I think of ignition too far advanced??
The instructions show the system fitted to a DT250MX and although the manufacturer says it will work on the DT250 twin shock models A to C my thinking is that the timing for the "B" is very slightly different from the MX. I think the porting is different too. I dont know if that makes any difference...
Theres no way to adjust the new system, the stator bolts straight to the crankcase with no slots to allow it to be retarded or adjusted.
What does the team think??
19 Aug 2019 04:03 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Timing between the models is not significantly different in the US at least..

My guess is you purchased a system from a company that has a handful of good reviews here... and quite a few reported "issues" like the one you are describing...

If your kit did not come with a flywheel, your issue could possibly be caused by not having the exact flywheel part number specified by the kit manufacturer? (Sometimes that is the case, sometimes even with the exact flywheel the timing still has issues)

Here is one thread on a similar issue: yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/74-7...ease-help-me?start=0

Having the stator plate slotted and fooling with it to get the timing correct is probably the easiest course of action if the manufacturer doesn't have a different solution.

Hope you get it solved soon! :Buds
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
19 Aug 2019 04:34 #2

• Mr Vegetable Trousers
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Mr Vegetable Trousers on topic DT250B and DT250MX ignition timing differences?

Yes its the correct flywheel marked FOTO 1971
Im in touch trying to sort something out.
19 Aug 2019 06:20 #3

• Mr Vegetable Trousers
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Mr Vegetable Trousers on topic DT250B and DT250MX ignition timing differences?

Yes its from Rex's.
I was asked for some information on my install, the flywheel number (its FOTO1971 which is the standard one this system should work with) and the part number on the new cdi box.
He (Marcus) also asked for the number thats engraved on the back of the stator as" that has the timing information".
I popped the stator off and... theres nothing on the back. So. its on the way back to him.
I will keep you posted.
20 Aug 2019 06:48 #4

Thanks for the update... it sounds like you are having better luck than others at getting the problem resolved. Looking forward to hearing everything is working well!
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
20 Aug 2019 09:15 #5

Replied by liferbiker on topic DT250B and DT250MX ignition timing differences?

I read the instructions a couple weeks ago and (if I remember correctly) key is removed and you line up the mark on flywheel w/mark on unit @ whatever mm BTDC your bike calls for. Maybe I'm wrong, as I read (de-structions) on two different units. I'm old, so I'm forgetfull sometimes if its the other one! (I was actually trying to find out how much ignition advance was programmed into CU)
Last edit: 20 Aug 2019 10:13 by liferbiker.
20 Aug 2019 10:09 #6

• Mr Vegetable Trousers
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Update: The issue is solved!
I was sent the wrong stator.
I sent the wrong one back on Tuesday and had the correct one sent to me arrivied on Friday in time for workshop time this weekend.
Comparing the new stator with a photo I had of the old one I could see the positioning of the coils was completely different. Its a wonder it ran at all.
Anyway on went the new one and it started first kick. A good long ish test ride of about 10 miles was great, once fully warmed up up revs cleanly all through the rev range and idles smoothly.
12v mini gel battery charging fine.
A success for this sytem, shame a glitch at the supplier meant I was sent the wrong one.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325, Pillsbury, Gr8uncleal
26 Aug 2019 04:58 #7

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart