facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

175E - Throttle Cable Replacement

• rhineman
  • rhineman's Avatar Topic Author

175E - Throttle Cable Replacement was created by rhineman

Hi all, I have done most all of the work on all my bikes over the years. However, I have zero experience in running cables. I have snapped the throttle cable and replacing one seems simple enough based on my research but because of the auto-lube system, I am a bit more cautious to do this work myself as i don't want to mess it up worse. A few questions, does anyone know the stock length of the cord? Is it easier to order a new cable / throttle assemble? Will this hook up w/the auto-lube connection? I have photos but cannot upload - any help / direction would be hugely appreciated. thanks -Rhineman
03 Jul 2023 10:43 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Tinkicker on topic 175E - Throttle Cable Replacement

You just have to replace the upper cable. It joins the lower throttle cable and oil pump cable in a plastic cylinder under the tank. They are connected inside the cylinder by a connecting piece that looks like a piston.
The lower end of the upper cable is essentially the cylinder head of the connecting cylinder and is made of plastic. Just a snap fit on the cylinder.

Unhook the oil pump cable from its pulley, take out the carb slide and unhook the lower cable from that. You will then have enough free length in the cables to pull the "piston" from the cylinder.
Hook your new cable on the piston, stuff it back into the cylinder and hook up the oil pump and slide again.
Snap your new cable onto the cylinder and hook up onto the throttle tube.
Set the correct free play with the upper adjuster.

Provided you have not messed with the oil pump cable adjuster, or carb top adjuster, you have no need to worry about those ( although good practice says you should double check them).
Last edit: 03 Jul 2023 12:07 by Tinkicker.
03 Jul 2023 12:05 #2

• rhineman
  • rhineman's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by rhineman on topic 175E - Throttle Cable Replacement

Tinkicker - thank you!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tinkicker
03 Jul 2023 12:23 #3

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic 175E - Throttle Cable Replacement

All of what Tinkicker says

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

UNLESS it has already been replaced with an aftermarket item, in which case it might not be possible to remove the cables from the connecting tube. Dismantle it first in order to determine the next stage.

On some, but not all, of the RD replacement throttle cables, it isn't possible to remove the cables from the tube.
03 Jul 2023 12:27 #4

Replied by Tinkicker on topic 175E - Throttle Cable Replacement

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

03 Jul 2023 12:37 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart