facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT175 Front Tire

• The Blur
  • The Blur's Avatar Topic Author

DT175 Front Tire was created by The Blur

1978 DT175.   Original Owner !
I know this is basic, but how do you remove the front wheel?
The brake cable runs through this little slot, and the speedo cable too.   Never had the front wheel off in 45 years, and now it's time for rubber.
and it looks like fork oil is leaking through a seal.   Never checked the fork oil in 45 years either,  but I need to get new rubber on this bike so I can ride.

Thanks for helping and not ragging on a simple task.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Crazy Horse 124
27 Nov 2022 17:12 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by msavitt on topic DT175 Front Tire

its not complicated, assuming you got some basic tools.
My advice is to go to tech center and find the service manual for your bike.  This way you get a nice step by step with some pictures.  While you have the front wheel off you may want to change out the front brake shoes.  After 45 years I know for a fact that regardless of miles that the friction material comes unglued, which could cause a skull fracture, or worse. Pictures of your ride would be appreciated too.  Good luck!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva, Ht1kid, Crazy Horse 124
27 Nov 2022 17:35 #2

• Tom P
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Tom P on topic DT175 Front Tire

If it's like a CT-1, the speedometer cable just removes by pinching a spring clamp in the recess, and the brake cable has a slotted fitting. Just loosen the fitting and line up all the slots, and you can remove the cable from the fitting and actuator. Then just remove the axle nut on the one side, and the pinch bolt on the other side, and knock the axle out.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
27 Nov 2022 17:43 #3

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic DT175 Front Tire

Here's a link to the service manual in the Tech Library www.yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/service...nd-mx-service-manual
As others have said, pretty straight forward with basic tools.
+1 on replacing the brake shoes.
Good luck.
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
29 Nov 2022 05:23 #4

Replied by MarkT on topic DT175 Front Tire

Loosen axle nut, prop up bike on something so front wheel is in the air...  when you remove axle note it goes in from right to left with nut on brake shoe side.  Put it back same way.

I can't ever remember having to remove cables...  after wheel drops out of forks just remove brake plate from drum and let it hang by cables.  (Nothing holds brake plate into drum, it just falls out when clear of forks.)

Sometimes it's easier to disconnect cables at top if you need to...  take pictures of routing.  You can also unbolt the cable guide on fork leg but I can't remember having to do that either.  Usually enough slack in cables to get plate clear of forks.

When reinstalling brake plate, note that there is a washer with two tabs that drives speedometer gear...  these engage on wheel hub. When tabs are lined up, brake plate easily drops fully into drum.  Just rotate wheel or brake plate a little if plate does not drop into place fully.  I mention this because if you force the plate into drum it's possible to bend the drive tabs on washer and end up with speedo not working.  Don't ask me how I know this! 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
29 Nov 2022 05:46 #5

• The Blur
  • The Blur's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by The Blur on topic DT175 Front Tire

yup, after I looked at it for a while.... it was simple. I shouldn't have messed with the brake adjustment, so I have extra work now.
29 Nov 2022 19:58 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart