facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1973 CT3 engine build

• dashy_ct3
  • dashy_ct3's Avatar Topic Author

1973 CT3 engine build was created by dashy_ct3

Hi all,

currently restoring a UK 1973 CT3. First time in years working on an old 2 stroke. Been splitting the engine cases to replace all seals and bearings. After splitting the cases I noticed a single ball bearing sitting in the case just under the gearbox (it’s not the one from the bolt next to the neutral switch). Everything in the gearbox still seems to move ok, can anybody shed any light on where this may have come from? Engine has been messed around with a lot with parts missing so am trying to put everything right!

thanks for reading!
14 Jun 2024 03:20 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic 1973 CT3 engine build

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

from near Salisbury.

Genuine UK CT3s are very rare!

There is a quarter inch ball bearing that sits at the inside end of the clutch push rod, so could be this. 
14 Jun 2024 03:51 #2

• dashy_ct3

Replied by dashy_ct3 on topic 1973 CT3 engine build

Thanks for the welcome, I’m from Cornwall. Also, thanks for the help, you were bang on it was the one for the push rod!

Yes I got a bit lucky with this project as a field bike I picked up for next to nothing turned out to be a matching numbers UK CT3. It was/is in a bad state though with parts missing. Managed to get it re-registered after a battle with DVLA so now it’s finally time to fix it! Will try and post some pics as I progress.

I don’t suppose you have a picture of the UK spec? As I believe they had different rear lights etc but can’t seem to find a picture anywhere.
14 Jun 2024 05:49 #3

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Not saved, no.

My memory of the ones previously listed on fleabay is that they had the UK only rear light, as fitted to the FS1-E, RDs etc and then the DTs from 1974 to about 1976.

Here is a link to one on Arsebook which shows the rear light. A couple of possible errors on the resto:-

1) Indicators are likely wrong - they are from the later bikes.
2) Front mudguard should have a black/white stripe up the centre (repros are available from Diablo Cycle in Canada).

Twin seat is correct.

Lovely looking 1973 Yamaha DT175 - an... - Classic 2 Strokes | Facebook

Main and left switches might be different from US, but hopefully you've got the originals.

Any more questions, just post away. 

14 Jun 2024 06:11 #4

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Oh, and you can post photos using a third party host such as Imgur.
14 Jun 2024 10:23 #5

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic 1973 CT3 engine build

from Berkshire.
Shyted is a member of the forum, I think his CT3 is a UK bike.
Here's a pick of his bike, with it's massive rear light/number plate holder.
My CT3 is a US model.
https://

Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha CT1-B The Greenie
Yamaha CT1-B The Doppelganger
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
16 Jun 2024 03:51 #6

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Dave's bike is also wearing the correct indicators, although his front mudguard has gone awol! 

16 Jun 2024 05:14 #7

• dashy_ct3

Lovely examples, I did have a feeling it was supposed to have the massive rear light, but nice to have that confirmed. Think I have sourced a light as that is used on a few different bikes but the small extra bracket that goes between the rear mudguard and the light bracket is going to be tricky!

I think with mine being in such a state with many of the original rare parts missing, I’ll get the basics done right, get it usable then add the rarer original parts as they come up on eBay etc. The list of parts I need to source is pretty big, in all honesty the bike wasn’t worth saving but something being done with a rare matching numbers bike is better than it being broken up for parts! I will go for the US spec seat though as I prefer the look of that.

If I can get to 80% of the examples here I’ll be chuffed. Love the look of the gold on these models, much better than the hammerite mine was painted with!
16 Jun 2024 08:41 #8

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic 1973 CT3 engine build

Dashy, I have an original paint CT3 fuel tank and a correct Mikuni 314E2 carburettor for sale if you need either.
I agree with you on the US style seat, it makes the bike look better than the European seat.
I hate the UK taillight, it's just so big.
In my opinion a rear rack really finishes the bike off.
I did a sleeper pipe modification (design was by Don DVM and Meis) which gives it a little more pep.
Here's my US model.
https://

Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha CT1-B The Greenie
Yamaha CT1-B The Doppelganger
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Schu
16 Jun 2024 12:54 #9

• dashy_ct3

Hi Pete, thanks for the offer, I already have its original tank and carb, the carb is seized though so I will bear you in mind on that one if when I open it up there’s a lot of damage.

Most of the frame and bodywork is present, only thing I’m struggling with is the headlight brackets. I’ve ordered a pair of these that have turned out to be wrong despite coming from a CT 175, or maybe my headlight bowl is too big? Current bowl is a YHA-107 if anyone knows if this is correct.

Engine has a lot of signs of being badly tampered with. Idle gear and pinion missing all together, o-ring on the crankshaft missing, lots of chewed up screws etc. A few evenings now of running it all through the ultrasonic cleaner while I’m waiting for the new bearings and seals to arrive. May polish up the cases as well if my patience stretches that far!
17 Jun 2024 06:46 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart