facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Oh dear...

• Maltese
  • Maltese's Avatar Topic Author

Oh dear... was created by Maltese

Hi all,

Currently restoring a '72 CT2 and splitting the motor to replace the main bearings, found some interesting 'bits' at the bottom of the case....Look's like a needle bearing  - Where could these be from, I thought?

Ah - Bugger - New RHS crankcase it seems....

Found a RHS crankcase from a DT with the same part number so not too bad.

Any advice on what to check/look out for when replacing/using matching a different crancase?
Last edit: 01 Feb 2021 02:25 by Maltese.
01 Feb 2021 01:21 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Oh dear...

Yep, all those problems started for us in NZ when the CT2 arrived as they uprated the power & lightened the mag flywheel which was all good on the 125 but caused grief on the 175. Keep the timing at no more than 1.8mm btdc which usually means definitely no more than 15 thou. By memory they used to quote 12-15 so in between that just reduce timing a bit. You never know, it might've broken a flywheel key sometime then got kicked lots with kicking back. Other possibility is if it started & ran backwards once, & the rider touched the kickstart lever even accidentally caused it to started to engage it--the motor then grabs the gear & forces the lever back to the stop with nowhere to go except split the case. We did a few back then. Think there was an inline diode just before the plug coil to stop the possibility of running backwards. Wouldn't stop it kicking back but cant start. Might be wrong on 'that' comment if someone knows!!.
01 Feb 2021 04:18 #2

• Maltese

Replied by Maltese on topic Oh dear...

Well the kickstart was knackered due to the end stop spinning (See my initial post on the forum) as it's got the old part - Probably engaged as you said and hit the sprocked causing the break...
01 Feb 2021 06:00 #3

Replied by apex on topic Oh dear...

When I saw your first photo I was thinking that could only be the caged roller for the primary trans shaft, and then saw your broken case & confirmed it. Bummer...where are you located? I have a few AT2 case halves I'd be willing to part with. PM if interested.
Allrighty Then
01 Feb 2021 12:18 #4

• Maltese

Thanks for the offer Apex -but I've already ordered one from the states (I'm in the uk) so hopefully that one will be okay (if not I might be contacting you!)
01 Feb 2021 13:06 #5

Replied by MarkT on topic Oh dear...

I hope the "DT" case half you bought was from a US 74-76 DT125?  Otherwise it might be the wrong part.  So many mislabeled parts for sale out there.

I have seen unmatched case halves that match perfectly and others where the cylinder base gasket surface is a different height.  I don't know why sometimes they don't line up but the good news is usually they do.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
01 Feb 2021 13:19 #6

• Maltese

Hi Mark - thanks and I'll just need to see if they match up! It's from a DT125 1974 from the US, part number matches so I hope its the right one...
01 Feb 2021 23:06 #7

Replied by Wessi on topic Oh dear...

Bad luck with the broken case, hope you get this issue solved.
Very interesting thread, i hope the case you bought, fits.
With my 75 DT, i faced also some problems with the LH case and wanted to buy an intact half. This was before i found this site. 
It starts like most rhumors start: ...an old Yamaha mechanic told me...Maybe he was wrong, but he told me in the factory, they bored both case-halfes of each motor together, to line up correctly all the axles . In the ´70ies , machines were not as precise as today, so tolerances were bigger.. Finally the production workers even chosed indivitualy for each motor primary drive gear wheel/clutch basked drive gear to fit the right distance between crancshaft axle and clutch axle bore.
So even if by chance one half seems to fit to another, not all bearing holes may have exactly the same center left/right case and soon or later the bearings could fail
I will not agree or disagree this, but this thoughts let me go the safer way to a welding shop and repair my case-half.
Maybe the experts here on the side know more about this production theory, could be a fairy tale...but in fact, at least at my model, the primary gear wheel and clutch basket wheel have numbers on it, written /engraved by hand, so they match.
Sorry to leave a bad taste to your Ebay purchase, i hope, i am wrong..
Regards from Germany

Last edit: 02 Feb 2021 00:21 by Wessi.
01 Feb 2021 23:53 #8

Replied by msavitt on topic Oh dear...

The broken case is a bumer, but the topic of 1970s vs. now maching technology is fascinating.  While rebuilding my 360 I was blown away by steel inserts molded into the cases and other nuances that led me to believe that cases were set up and machined by machinists.

Did a quick search on eBay for "DT125 engine cases" out of curiosity and because I am thinking about restoring one and a bunch of sets pop up.  Not sure these are the precise ones needed you this case, but seems like there might be a used matched set to be had.
02 Feb 2021 08:23 #9

Replied by MarkT on topic Oh dear...

Yamaha sold individual case halves for these bikes...  many people have replaced only a half without issues.  My guess is Yamaha used a precision manufacturing of each half so that they did not need to be matched.

The "line boring" theory is not without merit...  as some manufacturers did use that process.  On 1970's Husqvarna cases for example, you'll find matching numbers stamped in each case half near the parting line to identify they are a matched set.

A good machine shop can check the bearing bore alignment if there's a concern.

Husqvarna cases showing the number match.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: swm, mdscott, JayB, Snglsmkr
Last edit: 02 Feb 2021 08:50 by MarkT.
02 Feb 2021 08:49 #10

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart